WAG - Referendum on law making powers

:yield: For my sins, I worked for the WAG (actually technically I still do, but I'm on a career break atm) but in my staff newsletter last week, there was a section on a referendum on law making powers for Wales. The gist of the artice was saying that the NAW voted in favour of holding a referendum, which if voted in by the people of Wales, would give the WAG the power to pass its own laws without having to seek permission from Parliament.

Now, the reason I am flagging this up here, is that I assume Education would therefore come under this if it were to be passed. ATM my understanding is that although Education is already devolved, the WAG do not have sufficient powers to be able to change the law (in my mind in particular is the home ed law here of course) without parliament permission. IE, if agreed, they will then have the power to change things by themselves.

Again atm, I feel slightly safer that Parliament is in control of home ed laws, as we have a few allies. Im not convinced if it became devolved that we would be as "safe" as we are now with the WAG in control.

I'm hoping I'm worrying over nothing, but wanted to sound you guys out to see what you thought.

Annette

Elaine Kirk

Super Moderator
How strong is the Welsh home ed network ? can it be seen as a force in it's own right as opposed to being wholly incorporated in the Ebglish one?
All the uk home edders work together but I feel, and it is just my opinion , that having an identifiable Wales group would help enormously especially if it was something that was created sooner rather than later.
Maybe something to think about, after all with the internet it is not something that would cost money but would of course need people to devote time to it.

Last edited:

Elaine Kirk

Super Moderator
And you wouldn't want it too organised because Home Edders are a diverse community and what suits family B wouldnt suit family D so all you need really is some kinda jungle drum system where you can all rally to see of any attack but not not sit at table.

Have to agree with Netty, when the question came up the WAG were very vague on their position re HE - they said were monitioring the situation in England. No definite answer one way or the other :eek:hwell:

Elaine Kirk

Super Moderator
Yes the more I think about it the more I believe that you need to establish a separate identity pretty damn quick.
If you get something together you can make it known and then if Wales came under threat , either from Wales or the UK government you could fight the national corner . Naturally you would have the support of the community as a whole ,but the ptb would have to take into account that they were fighting their own people iykwim.
Just finding local volunteers so you could say to local authorities "we are *** *** and we would ask that you put our local contact on your home ed page " would legitamise you I would have thought.

*sigh* I really dont know how to answer this. I know when the badman stuff was kicking off, there was a school of thought that we (in wales that is) shouldn't make too much of a fuss as we'd be better off not drawing ourselves to their attention. Personally, I feel fore-warned is fore-armed and would rather we have a contingency plan...I think I'll flag it up on the welsh boards I used to go on and see what others think now. Thanks for your thoughts. Annette xx

In support

of Elaine’s view, a ‘collective’ or ‘movement’ has a resonant voice with more power than disparate individuals and can galvanise individual responses more quickly. Realistically, Home Education can be described accurately as a Movement although the term loose 'collective' also fits, particularly with its ability to swarm in defensive mode and disperse afterwards.

An Idea:
WHEM Welsh Home Education Movement​

A movement or collective does not necessarily need a formal 'Status' of structure (i. e. Company, charity etc)

Last edited:

Elaine Kirk

Super Moderator
Home Education can be described accurately as a Movement although the term loose 'collective' also fits, particularly with its ability to swarm in defensive mode and disperse afterwards.
:hail::hail::hail:
You found the words I was looking for :clap2::clap2::clap2: