The problems with ACEs

Admin

Administrator
Lack of informed consent for ACEs data collection, esp from 'captive' school children and other vulnerable groups in power-over settings results in the same old totalitarian unethical/unlawful practice as esee with #girfec #namedperson #datatheft.

Dr Bruce Scott, writing in the Scottish Review:

The ACE movement must address the issue of consent

The ACE movement need to address the issue of consent and GDPR, as do the Scottish Government who equally seems to be in a love in with the ideology of ACEs. This is ironic as the Scottish Government are very keen on promoting consent; only in certain contexts it seems (i.e., sexual relationships). An even more sinister link to the ACE movement has been discussed by American blogger Alison McDowell. She writes:

ACEs are getting tremendous media exposure of late. While I believe this to be a crucial public health concern, my fear is that ACE prevention and mitigation interventions will become vehicles for 'innovative' finance and will expand profiling of vulnerable populations.

McDowell's article describes, in harrowing detail how the targeting of populations for financial purposes and data collection, are carried out by commercial enterprises supported by governments. This is not carried out with the aim of addressing the structural inequalities that give rise to poverty and misery in society (eg, variables which exist outside the family home and control of families and impede people to lead happy lives), but rather to find, harness, and control a population 'identified' as victims and to herd them into perpetual victimhood, allowing the state to be able to intervene into the lives of families and children.

If the ACE movement does not address the consent issue and the more sinister links to the ACEs/resilience/well-being movement and its ambition of data collection, more and more people and parents will start to question what exactly is being developed supposedly to 'treat' their children. No amount of hype or celebrity endorsement can hide the fact forever that the ACE emperor has no clothes. The bottom line is: children and their parents have the right to consent or not when it comes to ACE ideology. Let me be clear: if the need for consent is overridden by the state, we are entering into totalitarianism.

Admin

Administrator
Interesting FOI response

I happened upon this FOI response from Scot Gov today:

Various questions on Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) agenda

We were right about ACEs being used as the new Trojan horse for GIRFEC named person data theft and profiling The annexed 22-page ACEs workshop report contains not one mention of consent for the routine hoovering up sensitive info, which is used to effect interventions for 'better' (state defined) wellbeing outcomes.

Admin

Administrator
ACEs as catch-all – Professor Rosalind Edwards

ACEs as catch-all – Professor Rosalind Edwards

Bad things happening to children, young people and adults is bad. ACEs is a persuasive idea for how to address this, but there are reasons why I’m sceptical of the concept and methodology of ACEs, and wonder why practitioners would want to apply them.
Rosalind Edwards is Professor of Sociology and a co-director of the National Centre for Research Methods at the University of Southampton. Along with colleagues she co-authored a written submission and gave oral evidence to the House of Commons Science and Technology Committee Inquiry on ACEs and early intervention, accessible at:

Written evidence: https://bit.ly/2DKJGjj
Oral evidence: https://bit.ly/2Vh1T00
Rosalind is also a co-editor and contributor to a themed section assessing ACEs for the journal Social Policy and Society, currently available on First View here: https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/social-policy-and-society/firstview