Sweden’s Homeschooling Refugees Refuse to Give In

Admin

Administrator
Why I will never buy another Volvo.

Sweden’s Homeschooling Refugees Refuse to Give In

Home education used to be allowed in some Swedish municipalities, but with stricter regulations implemented in 2011, it is now virtually impossible to get a home education permit in Sweden. Sweden and Germany are the only two EU countries that do not allow home education.

According to the U.N. special rapporteur on the right to education, this obligation to send children to a school is not in line with the U.N.’s Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Countries other than Sweden interpret the declaration as “children must be educated,” not “children must go to a school,” according to Himmelstrand.
Hitler's law is still alive and well in Sweden as well as Germany, and 'parent permits' and licensing schemes are on the way for the rest of us if recent developments throughout the UK are anything to go by.

I attended a conference in Edinburgh with ET about 3 years ago where the Scottish Tories were looking at the Swedish free school system as a blueprint for Scottish education (a pipe dream, of course, as everyone knows that Scotland doesn't vote Tory). Anyway, they had a bloke from Sweden speaking (forget his name) who was entirely convinced that the free school movement meant that every child's needs could be met in their system. In other words, no exceptions - not even for folk who are ideologically opposed to the homogenisation (i.e. equality of state dictated 'opportunities' and outcomes) of children.

Let's not forget Domenic Johansson who was abducted by the 'Soviet' Swedish state in 2009 because he was home educated.

And wasn't Sweden heavily implicated in the eugenics movement? A kind of comply or die sort of 'choice'. :behindsofa:

This is a stain on Sweden's otherwise essentially modern and forward-looking attitudes. It does seem quite extraordinary that they have become so intolerant of home education at this point. It is not even as though there was a high demand for it, so its supporters could hardly have been seen as any sort of threat.

On eugenics; "The fact that Sweden was the first country where a government-funded eugenics (or ‘race biological’) institute was created has been considered a stain on the reputation of the emerging welfare state, made worse by the fact that a law that legitimized the forced sterilization of thousands was enacted in the 1930s." It is pretty horrendous but it was a long while back and to be fair there were people in both the UK and the USA who were dabbling in it - including the Fabian Society, I seem to recall. The Norwegians also went in for sterilisation, notably of Gypsies and that continued after WWII...

Volvo Cars belongs to China's Zhejiang Geely Holding Group these days, so not buying one will not affect the Swedes. Oh and btw, I seem to recall you own a Mercedes, a German car from the country where HE is completely banned!!!!!!:boom:

Admin

Administrator
Oooh, that was below the belt ET! Yes, I admit to loving my Merc because it works. So did the Volvo I ran for 17 years.

I'll just melt all my Abba LPs in protest, then. :D

Admin

Administrator
Come to think of it, our IKEA sofas, which we bought in Germany in 1988, lasted for over 20 years with only one re-covering (after K practised her scissors technique on one arm while J was supposed to be supervising). :biggrin1:

pendlewitch

fairly certain that the forced sterilisation programme was running into the 70s at least. Which, yes, is still a long time ago now, but still.