Reasons for home ed survey

Hi all,

I've received some info from our local authority (Hampshire) about a survey they are doing in relation to parents reasons for choosing to home educate. They mention the growing number of people opting for this and wanting to have a better understanding of why people do this.

I am feeling quite keen these days to give feedback on how utterly dreadful our experiences have been over the years, ultimately in the hope that it might help to bring about change but more realistically just because I find I am feeling invisible and I want to be heard (or more specifically, I feel I want to speak on behalf of my son as he can't speak for himself).

I am aware, however, of the current NSPCC situation and as I am a cynical old bat, I'm wondering if this sort of survey is going out nationwide and if there might be a hidden agenda that may come back and bite me on the backside? Has anyone else received anything through the post? And does anyone know if any Hampshire education related staff are part of the NSPCC 'thing' (or that other task force that was set up a while ago which I can't remember the name of now). Thanks.

physicist

Hants survey

I do know know about this... apparently local councillors ( who tbh don't know anything about HE and who keep getting elected) asked the LA about reasons - so the LA thought they would ask the home edders. The postage has probably now used up the rest of the HE budget so there isn't much chance of any follow up so I shouldn't panic....

We did do an "educate the local councillors" campaign a few years ago, but of course there is quite a lot of turn over.... HCC are skint though so they are not about to spend any money - they sensibly decided that worrying about trying to persuade people that home visits cost money some years ago,,,,,

I do know know about this... apparently local councillors ( who tbh don't know anything about HE and who keep getting elected) asked the LA about reasons - so the LA thought they would ask the home edders. The postage has probably now used up the rest of the HE budget so there isn't much chance of any follow up so I shouldn't panic....

We did do an "educate the local councillors" campaign a few years ago, but of course there is quite a lot of turn over.... HCC are skint though so they are not about to spend any money - they sensibly decided that worrying about trying to persuade people that home visits cost money some years ago,,,,,
Thank you for that, Physicist, I am so paranoid these days it's quite worrying! I'm in two minds whether or not to bother; on the one hand I want to have a good moan, on the other I know it does no good and I'd probably be better off spending my time doing something more useful. I'll keep it to hand and see how it goes, thank you for your response :)