Quick Question re School Leaving Age

I'm slightly confused about this; as I understand it by law children must be in school/educated at home until 16 but what's the legal situation after that? The Gov website says from 16 to 18 they 'must' do one of three things but is that a legal must that means that parents can be prosecuted if they aren't doing one of those things or a 'must' that doesn't actually have any legal standing? Does anyone know?

Diane

HEdups
Hi there,

I believe that the child is supposed to take charge from the age of 16 and decide which path he or she will take.

I doubt it has any legal standing, but don't quote me on that.

Hi there,

I believe that the child is supposed to take charge from the age of 16 and decide which path he or she will take.

I doubt it has any legal standing, but don't quote me on that.
Thanks, Diane, that's pretty much what someone else has told me as well, a friend has a bit more info apparently so if I find out anymore I will post it up. The fact that I might only have two more years of looking over my shoulder has got me turning cartwheels! Although trying not to get too excited until I know for sure but it looks like it's a bit like the 'they must start school at 4' thing, everyone's being told that's what they have to do but the law hasn't actually changed. Will post more if I find anything else out :)