pink floyd

banshee

ScotHE
I remember being eight and singing freedom songs. I remember hearing a song, I think it was by Pink Floyd? It went something like: "We don't need no education. We don't want no mind control. Hey, Teacher, leave those kids alone!" I thought that was a ridiculous notion, because my teachers were not putting "just another brick in the wall"...they were breaking down my wall, opening my mind to concepts like propaganda, injustice and freedom. They also taught me that the history they were forced to teach me should be questioned, and that one woman's truth is another woman's fiction... there was always a possibility that my teachers might have been arrested.
During the Apartheid regime home education was outlawed. It makes perfect sense, I mean, what kind of government would want the voting majority to be free thinkers? Think about it: how else would they be able to get laws passed that perpetuate a system of slavery and prejudice that trapped a nation in its own fear? Laws that have broken families and segregated people on a scale that Hitler would be proud of. And this was based on laws that were never questioned, because if you dared you'd probably find yourself in a cell next to Madiba...or worse.
I'm beginning to smell the same fear in this country...
This has not been my reason to home educate: my son's happiness is the reason. But more and more I fear that School (and Society as we know it) churns out quickly assembled automatons. Where is the humanity in that?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea5IgyVd3_U
:peace:

The song is "Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)" which is from the Pink Floyd album "The Wall". The album is a rock opera and the central character is loosely based on the band's bassist Roger Waters. It traces the loss of the father in WW2, the abuse of schoolteachers, overprotective mother, desertion of the character's wife, the superficiality of stardom - all "bricks in the wall" the wall of social isolation. Each brick closes him off from the rest of society - the final brick as he spirals into insanity. This was also made into a film.
The lyrics which tell the whole story are here:

http://www.pink-floyd-lyrics.com/html/the-wall-lyrics.html

I am a huge Pink Floyd fan! No matter how many times I listen to any of their albums they never fail to amaze and move me. :eek:

banshee

ScotHE
Thanks, weedaftie! will download lyrics, and try to track down the movie.
btw, have you had a look at the youtube video? found the link on a South African home ed yahoo group.
This kind of Control is what I see even at this tiny village school (where children are even told where to sit on the bus ride home!!). How would they ever be able to 'teach' children how to make good choices, when they don't give them any choices???
I never liked the word "uniform": it is too close to unimind, and after watching "Buzz Lightyear" for the 156th time, I can see how how dangerous it could be if Zurg were in charge of the Unimind!

I checked out the video you posted and it reminded me of the sentiments expressed in the book Dumbing us Down by John Taylor Gatto. I had been considering home educating for about a year and was still humming and hawing until I read that book. It made me angry that i hadn't opened my eyes sooner. The veil has well and truly lifted in my eyes and now i can't help looking at schoolbased education with extreme suspicion and cynicism!