Out the other side

I have 4 "out the other side." All but one is at college now, and one is doing OU at home, one was also working but lost her job due to the recession and is still trying to find another and is at college while she looks. All got into college with no qualifications the colleges were interested (ie GCSE's) in and have done well. One coming up to 16 is going to college next September and has a provisional place based on what she does everyday, which is help with an animal rescue and she has got two diplomas in animal care and health and is doing a further one soon on animal communication. No NEETS here.

Diane

HEdups
I really don't like the idea of NEETs at all. A friend's son is travelling in the Antipodes, having a great time, making new friends, enjoying incredible experiences. Technically, he's a NEET.

Does every young person have to have a job, be in training or approved education, can't they just be? After all, there may be a life of drudgery ahead, can't they just exist for a little while? Breathe in the fresh air? Live?

Diane

Does every young person have to have a job, be in training or approved education, can't they just be? After all, there may be a life of drudgery ahead, can't they just exist for a little while? Breathe in the fresh air? Live?

Diane
No Diane, a person's sole reason for being in this country is to produce and consume. If anyone dares step off the treadmill, then they will be labelled. As deficient probably.

My father had a saying

"Work to live, don't live to Work!"

He never understood some of his colleagues who would rather do overtime than spend time with their families.

He never understood some of his colleagues who would rather do overtime than spend time with their families.
Having had the misfortune to catch a glimpse of some of the dysfunctional families on reality TV shows, I can quite see why some people might prefer to do overtime.