Opinion column: Martin Crewe

Sheila Struthers

Children's wellbeing must come first in planning and delivering children's services, and the "named person" provisions in the Scottish Government's new bill are a vital part of that

Unfortunately, some of the fundamental and most important proposals have already come in for criticism, including the proposal for a “named person”. The main task, as set out in the bill, will simply be to act as a point of contact for children and families, helping them to get the best support possible from public services. Yet some commentators have criticised the named person proposal as an extension of the “nanny state” and too expensive to implement.
Blatant propaganda from the rent-seeking brigade and remarkably similar to the nonsense being spouted by Aileen Campbell at the moment.

Admin

Administrator
Only Ronnie's comment is showing up.

Wonder if it's the old censorship chestnut again? Or maybe just moderation (like what we do here with spammers!)

Elaine Kirk

Super Moderator
I tried to comment on how a charity who lodged accounts with the English charity commission showing income from (donations and,governments ie taxpayers etc) of £245.18 million and spending on income generation (ie lobbying and advertising )and governance:£36.12 million have obviously got a vested interest in using girfec to their own gain though no doubt they will say they are 'Doing it for the children'. Luckily somebody has already raised the point.
I also wanted to question giving more power to the children's sector when it is a well known fact that paedophiles are attracted to the industry!!

Elaine Kirk

Super Moderator
He says he isn't paid a six figure salary ,and reading Barnardo's 2012 accounts there are three people on six figure salaries, we can only guess who is higher in the pecking order...
Probably the Director of Barnardo's England, Maybe the Director of Barnardo's Wales ? That's two... what about a Director of Barnardo's UK ? mum surely the Director of Barnardo's Scotland would earn the same as his Welsh counterpart? ...its no good I am flummoxed will somebody go ask Martin Crewe Director of Barnardo's Scotland who the three six figure people are then?
If it helps him..
One earnt £150, 000-£159, 000
One earnt £130, 000-£139, 000
One earnt £110, 000-£129, 000
Of course that was 2012 so twill no doubt be higher now , just curious to know who the big earners are ...

Elaine Kirk

Super Moderator
I did manage to submit a comment on the journal article but it hasn't shown up as yet. I asked if Martin Crewe could clarify the statement he made in his last comment
Barnardo's Scotland does not anticipate gaining any additional funding as a result of the bill*
I asked because in 2010 a Community Care article gave 60 as the figure for the number of services Barnardo's were commissioned to provide
Crewe, who has held his post since 2007, is in a strong position to gauge standards of commissioning among Scotland's local authorities, with Barnardo's Scotland providing 60 services on behalf of councils Crewe believes providers should be involved early in the design and commissioning pro*cess, even if they do not ultimately win the contract to run the live service.
From the Barnardo's Scotland website today we find that figure has risen to 122
Today we run more than 122 community-based services across Scotland including.. cont:
When Martin Crewe says
Barnardo's Scotland does not anticipate gaining any additional funding as a result of the bill*
What does he actually mean ? It is patently obvious that they intend to gain further contracts so does he mean the success or failure of the bill will not stop the girfec train ? Or does he mean something else? I don't know , do you?

Last edited:

Elaine Kirk

Super Moderator
Interesting to note re my post above , that Barnardo's UK had an income of 230million in 2010 which by 2012 had risen to 245million ...

Admin

Administrator
More comments have appeared, and it's getting interesting now, especially as this is in the Law Society Journal and will hopefully be read by, er, lawyers! Surely some will have an interest in human rights and data protection? Then again...

I sent the link to the discussion to Liz Smith, the sole Tory MSP who is on the Ed Committee, who thanked me for doing so.

The point is they cannot win the arguments as GIRFEC is just the same as all the other database driven crap as documented and demolished by ARCH back in 2006 in the database masterclass series. Rights for children are not 'pick and mix' and may not be selectively breached to suit a particular state agenda.

The legal arguments are also dodgy and they must surely know that, especiallyin the light of recent case law. The whole scheme relied on perpetrating a big con that it was about child protection until it was too late to turn the Titanic. Let's just line up the icebergs, shall we?

Admin

Administrator
More comments now showing from Sheila and someone else who seems to know a good bit about Highland GIRFEC and isn't a fan either.

Martin Barnardo's little can of worms is spilling out all over the place. :boink:

Elaine Kirk

Super Moderator
I am so absolutely livid The Journal of the Scottish law society hosts a piece from Martin Crewe Director of Barnardo's Scotland promoting girfec and the CHYP bill that is being heard,. Many concerned citizens commented on the piece and Martin Crewe did respond in defence of girfec , he also stated
I did leave the following comment asking Martin Crewe
Martin Crewe, could you please clarify your statement"Barnardo's Scotland does not anticipate gaining any additional funding as a result of the bill".I ask because I note from your 2012 accounts that you receive monies for the provision of intervention services from e.g. Inverclyde and I wonder whether you anticipate there will be no further demand for such services or whether you class income from them in a separate category to "funding", or even whether you anticipate a growth in the intervention services market regardless of whether the bill passes or not?
There has been no reply from Mr Crewe
In an attempt to clarify the situation myself I trotted over to googledom where I found this on the Barnardo's site
SallyAnn Kelly, Head of Operations for Barnardo’s Scotland, has undertaken a new role. As of 1st February SallyAnn has been leading the Scottish Government's National GIRFEC (Getting It Right For Every Child) Project. The aim of the project is to strengthen the relationship between Community Planning Partnerships and the Third Sector. The three year initiative is being hosted by Barnardo’s Scotland and SallyAnn will remain an employee of Barnardo’s. *The National project is a Public Social Partnership which also includes Voluntary Action Scotland and the Improvement Service. The project will work directly with Community Planning Partnerships to identify areas of good practice in working with the Third Sector locally and identify areas for development. It will support Community Planning Partnerships to implement improvement and will communicate good practice across all of the Community Planning Partnerships in Scotland. The aim is to ensure that the third sector is consistently and firmly embedded in the planning and delivery of services to children across Scotland.SallyAnn said:“This is an exciting initiative that will further strengthen Barnardo's Scotland’s profile and reputation across the country and I am delighted to lead it. My new role will provide me with an exciting and challenging opportunity to ensure that the Third Sector is firmly rooted in planning and service delivery across Scotland.'
Barnardo's in my opinion should tell the public how they are funding the position
The three year initiative is being hosted by Barnardo’s Scotland and SallyAnn will remain an employee of Barnardo’s
Are Barnardo's funding the post with voluntary public donations or with government granted taxpayer funds, either way the public are paying , should they not have been fully informed about girfec before their money was used by a charity in this way I ask?

Admin

Administrator
I see he hasn't replied. It's the weekend, of course, when these sorts put children's rights and wellbeing on the back burner while they enjoy their own economic and social benefits.

Before arriving at Barnardo's, Martin worked for the NSPCC, whose staff failed to act (too busy organising an office party as I recall) to save Victoria Climbie, then 'doctored' the records. Somehow an apology just doesn't quite cut it.

The very same NSPCC apparently also gave a character reference to paedophile Suart Hall.

Why on earth would parents trust anyone who works for one of these so-called charities?

Elaine Kirk

Super Moderator
As we know
SallyAnn Kelly, Head of Operations for Barnardo’s Scotland, has undertaken a new role. As of 1st February SallyAnn has been leading the Scottish Government's National GIRFEC (Getting It Right For Every Child) Project. The aim of the project is to strengthen the relationship between Community Planning Partnerships and the Third Sector.*The three year initiative is being hosted by Barnardo’s Scotland and SallyAnn will remain an employee of Barnardo’s.**The National project is a Public Social Partnership which also includes Voluntary Action Scotland and the Improvement Service. The project will work directly with Community Planning Partnerships to identify areas of good practice in working with the Third Sector locally and identify areas for development.
If the CHYP bill gets through council's will be under a duty to fund intervention schemes of which there will be an ever growing number
and identify areas for development.
Areas for development already identified include amongst others
.Scotland.gov.
Action for Children & Barnardo’s -* £1,267,751 to work with young prolific male offenders in East Ayrshire, Renfrewshire, Inverclyde and Highland
.From the Scotland.gov website.
ListenPutting children first04/03/2013£757,000 for third sector kicks off Wellbeing Week.Children’s Minister Aileen Campbell today announced £757,000 funding to put third sector bodies at the heart of developing children’s services.A unique partnership between a core group of Barnardo’s Scotland, Voluntary Action Scotland and the Improvement Service, with support from other third sector partners, will deliver the project.
.Scotland.gov.
'Nurturing Invercyde' has led to the development of a number of highly innovative projects such as Barnardo's Nurturing Inverclyde Project, a partnership project between Barnardo's and Inverclyde Council.We were awarded*£898,920*to develop a set of*'Nurturing Inverclyde' principles*by establishing a project that will provide intensive support for 300 families across Inverclyde, many of whom have been affected by domestic abuse, mental ill health, addiction, trauma and neglect.
.Scotland.gov.
Scotland’s Best – backed by £2.4 million from the Scottish Government’s Legacy 2014 Young Person’s Fund – will see 1,000 jobless Scots, aged 16-24, offered a place on a part-time employability programme. Many of the volunteering opportunities will be at sporting and cultural events such as the World Pipe Band Championship, the Gymnastics World Cup and Celtic Connections..........................* *The Scotland’s Best programme, which will give participants a qualification at SCQF level 4, will be administered by Skills Development Scotland and delivered by five training providers: Barnardo’s, Action for Children, the Princes Trust, Volunteer Development Scotland and Jobs and Business Glasgow.
I will find further examples over the coming days , those listed are just ones I found on a basic search for barnardo's, and finding costs for some of the schemes is problematic .

Elaine Kirk

Super Moderator
Funding from the taxpayer is not easily identified because it gets 'filtered' , I.e. when you see headlines like this
Big Lottery Fund Scotland awards £5.5m to charities

The 'Big Lottery Funded ' banner can be deceptive as the Big Lottery coffers are bolstered with large chunks of government (taxpayer ) monies
Last month it was announced that the additional £10 million funding would be made available over two years to non-profit and non-governmental organisations and groups working directly to improve the lives of children, young people and families.This is in addition to the £20 million Third Sector Early Intervention Fund, managed by the BIG Lottery, for organisations working closely with children, young people and families.

Admin

Administrator
Scottish Stasi reinvent SUS law to target minor(itie)s

Who else remembers the SUS law which was abused to target minorities? Cue GIRFEC Stasi who are now targeting minors! This example has appeared in response to Mr Crewe's 'article'. Be very afraid, everyone.

A couple of days ago, my son was picked up by the police on the way to picking up our morning newspaper from the village shop. He was doing nothing wrong. He has excellent road sense, he is sensible and, crucially, old enough to go to the shops on his own. But with no good reason the police lifted him. They are now submitting a "Vulnerable Person's Report" - apparently compulsory whenever they deal with a child - which will be submitted to the Social Work Dept of my local authority. I am hoping the social workers will laugh it off as a gross over-reaction on the part of the police officers, but they may not. Whatever happens, this VPR can now be passed to hundreds, if not thousands, of people through GIRFEC provisions. I am told there is nothing I can do to have the report deleted, although I am checking that. This the power GIRFEC commands, and allows - to both state officials and busybodies. My child, who was doing nothing wrong, now has a report about him flying around the system. All for popping to the village shop. Anybody who thinks that GIRFEC is not about state control of every single child in the country, and of creating a surveillance state needs to consider that your child could be reported, as a vulnerable person, to social work, for going about her or his legal life.

Diane

HEdups
Despicable. Nothing short of complete control of every person's life is obviously the 'vision' of the GIRFECKIANS.

Abysmal.

Odd, though, isn't it? They don't care enough to give money to disabled people and folks down on their luck to let them lead at least tolerable lives (aka austerity and 'cuts'). They've got to spend it on countless machanistic morons inhabiting the LA-LA land of every child will do and act how we say, and we'll receive plenty loot for making sure they do.

Sick of this Great Britain. It's a shambles.

Diane

Admin

Administrator
Looks like 'debate' to Martin Crewe means telling us what's 'right' as he never returned to the discussion. :(

A bit like 'Engage for Education', where engagement means Aileen and co telling parents they are all 'wrong' by spin-doctored template.

Only they can 'get it right for every child', including yours and mine, which is what we have been warning about all along.