Hi, sorry if this one has been asked before but can anyone answer a question for me please? My dd has never been registered at school or nursery as I always knew I was going to HE, how likely is it that we will remain under the radar so to speak? Am not particularly worried by the idea of LA etc snooping around but it is something I could probably live without! Dd isn't quite 4 yet but i like to be prepared, I'm in England btw. Hope someone can help, Clare.

Hi Clare,

That's quite a difficult question to answer! I'd presume if you live somewhere with understanding neighbours (or no neighbours), supportive family and don't have much contact with anyone in the public sector then you have more chance of not being on the receiving end of a referral. Telling a doctor (or anyone else in the public sector) that you home ed could result in ed welfare or social services being notified, as would a 'concerned' neighbour or friend or relative who doesn't agree with your choices. I've been grilled about our educational choices whilst giving medical information in A & E! Unfortunately a lot of people seem to think the local authority should know everything you do, all the time, and others think that you need permission to home educate and that everyone should be monitored so will assume someone needs to know what you are doing. So it's difficult to be definite about it; if I were in your situation I'd keep my head down and try and stay off radar for as long as possible. Hope all is going well with it :)

Admin

Administrator
My advice would be to enjoy what you are doing and just anticipate that at some point the LA may make enquiries as to your provision (probably in the guise of 'support' :lol:).

As LHE says, there is a growing movement towards monitoring of absolutely everything and a great deal of deliberate misinformation peddled about home education which doesn't serve the dumbing down purpose schools exist to serve.

Quoting John Taylor Gatto:
I feel ashamed that so many of us cannot imagine a better way to do things than locking children up all day in cells instead of letting them grow up knowing their families, mingling with the world, assuming real obligations, striving to be independent and self-reliant and free.
'Early interference' is the new mantra, sadly, which allows state agencies to avoid actually providing services to those who want and most need them in favour of universal surveillance and 'control by database' of the entire population.

Quoting Goebbels:
It is the absolute right of the State to supervise the formation of public opinion.
And Stalin:
Education is a weapon, whose effect depends on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed.
Churchill, on the other hand, insisted:
Schools have not necessarily much to do with education... they are mainly institutions of control, where basic habits must be inculcated in the young. Education is quite different and has little place in school.

It's very much a lottery, some LAs will have their information sources very coordinated and under control so that pretty much any interaction with a public official will bring you to notice. Others, you seem to pretty much be able to march up and down outside their offices with a big sign and they won't bother.

Neighbours are another source of problems, we started telling everyone in the village here that we were going to home educate well before my son was five, in the hope that they'd all just accept that and not report us because he was at home a lot. So far, so good. If you've got any unpleasant types nearby, they might file malicious reports just because they can, or because they believe that every child should be in school. Once again, it's a lottery because you don't always know if you're unfortunate enough to have someone like that in your street.

As for how long, six years here so far, despite virtually doing the marching up and down thing (TV, radio and newspaper appearances during the Badman saga) that I know the LA saw/heard.

In which LA are you?

Thanks all, must admit that's pretty much what I thought, just hoping I don't end up feeling like I'm looking over my shoulder all the time. There's something wrong in this country when you have to defend your personal decisions just because you want to do something other than the norm. I live in the middle of the roughest council estate you can imagine in Walsall, West Mids (think Shameless with black country accents!) so there's bound to be someone wanting to stick their oar in. Am doing as much research as I can in the meantime so I'm prepared if and when it happens so hopefully that will help keep the paranoia at bay! Thanks again for your replies, Clare.

Hi again Clare,

There is a lot of help available if you do get any problems (we've had loads - problems and help)so you won't have to deal with it completely by yourself. Knowing the law, standing your ground and not giving an inch are all good things, in my opinion. I did worry about things a lot but really you can't do any more than be prepared for a fight if need be, so just try to enjoy yourself and keep your fingers crossed! :)

Earthmother

Thanks all, must admit that's pretty much what I thought, just hoping I don't end up feeling like I'm looking over my shoulder all the time. There's something wrong in this country when you have to defend your personal decisions just because you want to do something other than the norm. I live in the middle of the roughest council estate you can imagine in Walsall, West Mids (think Shameless with black country accents!) so there's bound to be someone wanting to stick their oar in. Am doing as much research as I can in the meantime so I'm prepared if and when it happens so hopefully that will help keep the paranoia at bay! Thanks again for your replies, Clare.
Clare, if it's any consolation I live in the middle of a rough council estate too. However my kids are nearly teens and we are still under the radar (touch wood it stays that way). The doctor, dentist and library staff know they are home edded and none batted an eyelid. Like David said, make sure you mention to neighbours etc what you are doing and they will not wonder why the kids are at home. Also know your rights and if doorstepped or stopped by truancy patrol in town you know what to say to tell them to back off.
It's bound to go through your mind occasionally but as you progress on your journey you will stop worrying so much. x

Archie Stephens

Hi,

We live in social housing in Staffordshire amongst some fairly dysfunctional school attending families. We never informed our LA of our decision to HE though we are very open about it to people in our community including health visitors and doctors. When our daughter was 6 we recieved our letter from the LEA and we assumed her name had come up from cross checking lists of children registered with the doctor and children registered with schools.

My advice would be to prepare for their attempts to intervene but not to worry about it. Spend some time now looking at developing an educational philosophy. We spent a few days doing this after we were contacted and sent that to the LEA with a covering letter instead of filling their forms. We boned up on the law and our rights and used this to refuse entry to an Educational Welfare Officer on an unannanounced visit to our home.

In the last 3 years we have sent two reports and met once at our local library with an LEA officer. I know some people have had problems but we have been firm but open and not had any bother.

If and when it happens there are loads of people with a variety of experiences to draw on so please don't be anxious. Best wishes.