New Con-sultation!

Cross-posted from the FB South Wales Home Ed pages

http://wales.gov.uk/consultations/e...n-safeguarding-children-in-education/?lang=en The home ed bit - 3.123

Haven't read it all through yet, but this bit is definitely worrying.

They appear to be trying to sneak monitoring in - again - in the middle of the second paragraph

Parents have a duty to ensure that their children receive an efficient full-time education suitable to their child either by regular attendance at school or otherwise (under section 7 of the Education Act 1996) and they may choose to arrange this education themselves outside the state or independent school system. There is however, currently no legal requirement on parents to tell a local authority that their child is receiving education at home. It is therefore difficult for LAs to fulfil their duty under section 436A of the Education Act 1996. Additional information on elective home education can be found in the Welsh Government’s Inclusion and Pupil Support Guidance.

3.124 Section 436A of the Education Act 1996 (inserted by section 4 of the Education and Inspections Act 2006) requires all local authorities to make arrangements to enable them to establish (so far as it is possible to do so) the ‘identities of children in their area who are not registered at school and are not receiving a suitable education’. The purpose of the duty is to make sure that children and young people who are not registered pupils are identified and that effective monitoring systems are put in place to ensure that those children or young people are provided with ‘suitable education’ 6, which may also 6 ‘Suitable education’, is defined as meaning efficient fulltime education suitable to their age, ability and aptitude and to any special educational needs they may have.

Admin

Administrator
Annette is asking over on our FB page:

has anyone on here had a chance to have a look through this yet? do you see it as a consultation that is aimed at us, or are we safely out of it? I'm getting mixed messages and I can't make up my mind atm. thoughts please? thanks

Admin

Administrator
Wales update

Marie has blogged about the situation in Wales.

Urgent: Safeguarding consultation in Wales ends 25 October 2013. Threat to Home Education

There is also a petition to sign.

The Welsh Assembly Government: Stop the Welsh Assembly Government from bringing in the monitoring of electively home educated children under the guise of safeguarding.

Please lend support to home educating families in Wales as they come under attack yet again. It's becoming something of a blood sport among those who would be far better putting their own houses (and schools) in order before tying to impose unwanted and unwarranted regulation on law abiding citizens.

This is rather like painting the proverbial Forth Road Bridge . . .

Also signed. Time to chew the head off another narrow minded middle ranking civil servant . . . :nono:

Wales has officially dropped its registration and monitoring proposals
Plans to make the parents of home-schooled children join an official register in Wales have been dropped, following a backlash from parents.
But note the sting in the tail...

"I have, however, asked my officials to develop non-statutory guidance on home education by May 2015 to assist LAs (local authorities) with supporting their home-educating families, and to help create a more consistent approach to how LAs engage with their home-educating communities."

I'd help them draw guidance. First, go to the correct part of their website and click on the link to the existing guidance. Print it out, then declare that to be the new Welsh guidance. They can change the date on it if they really want to.