Ill-informed arrogant teachers

Dthen

A picture I saw a while ago that I thought I should share:

Comment, discuss and post similar things.

AmyT

ScotHE
I saw this before and thought might be a subtle hoax, because of the teachers initials (AH... Adolf Hitler?) and the date (April 20th, afore mentioned dictators birthday).

Mind you, it could just be a coincidence. I still remember being told by a teacher in primary school 'I just hate it when you're clever!' !

AmyT

ScotHE
Oh, and being told off in P1 for saying the alphabet wrong. It was in the right order, like, I'd just decided to say the names of the letters rather than do it phonetically.

Sheila Struthers

It is kind of ironic that Dthen has posted this because he had an similar experience himself (but can't remember).

In Primary 2 he pointed out to the teacher that she had got something wrong (wish I could remember exactly what, but it was some simple fact that he KNEW and he persisted with it).I hope he did it politely, he probably did, at least at first :heh:

Upshot was that the teacher started ranting on about "when he had been to university, then he could tell her".

Sad, silly, insecure person that she was/is, she has probably been promoted by now...

Admin

Administrator
When our D 'tried' secondary school, he never hesitated to correct teachers when they were wrong. His general knowledge is far superior to mine, but while I have always been happy to admit that I don't know something, teachers seem to find it a challenge.

Fortunately, school was a temporary experiment on his part and many of his teachers (but not all, it has to be said) breathed a sigh of relief when he chose to leave before bothering with "vital" exams.

He never looked back, already has an HND and is about to go to university after getting some hands-on work experience.

Sheila Struthers

Oh, and being told off in P1 for saying the alphabet wrong. It was in the right order, like, I'd just decided to say the names of the letters rather than do it phonetically.
And later on,when they gave you Standard Grade English work and said "she couldn't do it and obviously there were some things she just needed to be taught" and I said " well I've got an ancient Higher English and I couldn't "do" this either, the terminology needs explained - give her the teacher's handbook "....

.....they didn't :( - would have made them look silly :noidea: redundant even :behindsofa:

AmyT

ScotHE
And later on,when they gave you Standard Grade English work and said "she couldn't do it and obviously there were some things she just needed to be taught" and I said " well I've got an ancient Higher English and I couldn't "do" this either, the terminology needs explained - give her the teacher's handbook "....

.....they didn't :( - would have made them look silly :noidea: redundant even :behindsofa:
Bah. Think they were trying to get me to examine the sentence structure in a passage from John Steinbeck. Which was a shame, because it put me right off him until years later when I heard another teacher, in another school, read 'Of Mice and Men' out loud. He did it with gusto, putting on accents, giving a different voice to each character, and was clearly enjoying himself; also, he said 'bastard'- teehee! I read the whole book at lunchtime, then went and found The Grapes of Wrath, East of Eden, and all the rest. He is probably my favourite writer of all time. I re-read him frequently, and know all his works inside out. Could I dissect his sentences? Yes. Would I want to? No. To me, it would be like taking a scalpel to the Mona Lisa to see just how Leonardo da Vinci laid down his brushstrokes.

I was forever getting into arguments with teachers when they got their facts wrong. There was a time when a secondary school science teacher refused to believe I was right. I fetched the head of science who told me I was right and the teacher was wrong. This act made me deeply unpopular with my classmates and upset my parents who believe in respecting superiority and fitting in.

When my 4 year old and I were looking round a school he pointed out that the poster of the solar system in the library was out of date because pluto is a dwarf planet but the poster still had it marked as a planet. The head who was showing us round said it was a planet but I said my son was right and perhaps she would like to check it out on line or something. She just ignored me and continued with the tour. We are now home educating.

Nina

ScotHE
I remember been given 100 lines in 1st Year Maths for telling the teacher about a pupil who was giving me a hard time. In front of the whole class he said I was to write "I must not tell on my fellow class mates"! :loco: At the same time the school was trying to start up an anti-bullying campaign - which was a complete farce!

liger-gate

P.2 teacher(who sadly was also P1 and P3 teacher = 3 years of misery !)asking my daughter's class,"Who can tell me what the largest member of the cat family is ?" to which DD put up her hand and told her " Liger,when the father is a lion and the mother is a tiger,you get the biggest cat in the world" to which to teacher replied"Don't be so stupid! if you don't know the answer don't make things up!" Cue to Mummy storming down after school,complete with print outs and pictures and vital statistics to chew her a new asshole,wish I could say this was the only incident with this 'teacher' but as we home educate now....safe to say it wasn't!!!

sweetpea

ScotHE
What really used to get up my nose was when I would turn up at school to collect all 7 children to be told by some teacher that one of my children was in a whole class detention and they used to keep the whole class back because of the bad behaviour of one.
I just would walk into the classroom and ask my child 'Did you have anything to do with this bad behaviour?' If the answer was no, I would remove said child from said classroom and inform the teacher that she could put any offence my child had committed in writing.

I had a teacher at secondary school, probably when I was 13-14 who admitted to me that if his answer was different to mine or one of two or three others in the class then he would always check his answer before challenging us. Nice to see a teacher who understood that he could make mistakes. They weren't all complete :censored:

I remember been given 100 lines in 1st Year Maths for telling the teacher about a pupil who was giving me a hard time. In front of the whole class he said I was to write "I must not tell on my fellow class mates"! :loco: At the same time the school was trying to start up an anti-bullying campaign - which was a complete farce!
That's a disparity between the child's world and the adult world which I have never understood. If someone breaks the law, we are generally encouraged to report them. Should a child apply the same principle in school (or elsewhere, for that matter) then they are admonished for being a tel-tale. It makes absolutely no sense.

Our oldest boy was told by his teacher that Jesus was a Catholic. Obviously we had to explain that in fact Jesus was Jewish which prompted an explanation of different religions of the world. Clearly this wasn't something the teacher thought necessary when talking about religion. This just goes to show that religious education in a Catholic school really just means Catholic education and everyone else can go to hell!

Our oldest boy was told by his teacher that Jesus was a Catholic.
I don't have any first hand experience of Catholic schools but I have been informed numerous times about very strange cultures and ideologies that circulate within them. However, a statement like that is incredulous.

I was once told by my sons teacher, he had very clear morals, whats right and wrong. Which she then followed on by saying, he would tell her when another child was doing something wrong. This she said would make him unpopular and would get him into trouble. I pointed out it was her job to teach those other children what is right and wrong. We as parents have always taught our son to tell the truth. How can he trust the teachers if they come out with that sort of nonsensical rubbish!!:confused: This same teacher also told us, our son has rather a vivid imagination!!!!!:twitch: I would hope so, he's a CHILD!!!!!!:yell:

At around 12 years of age I was sent to the headmaster for telling a teacher in class that she was wrong in identifying a Blue Tit - It was a Great Tit - She told me I was being rude - I had four stripes on my bottom given with a whippy cane by a lunatic man for my effort in correctness - Not long after I had another four stripes from the same lunatic for piping up that the Hooded Crow seen through the window was in fact a Jackdaw - Hobbies can sometimes be painful! -

Diane

HEdups
Glenn, it's funny (in an unamusing way) how children - and others - are often punished for telling the truth.

Diane