Home education on the increase in Wales

Admin

Administrator
Looks like the threat of compulsory registration hasn't completely gone away.

Numbers of pupils educated at home rises in Wales as parents turn their backs on schools

But union says sharp rise in home educated young people must be put into context in terms of overall numbers
They are so defensive of their institutions, aren't they?

A consultation on the creation of a compulsory registration system, which launched last August and ran for 12 weeks, yielded more than 550 responses from stakeholders.

But the process was delayed and former Education Minister Leighton Andrews asked officials to undertake a “thorough analysis” of the consultation responses, to ensure all views are fully considered.

A spokesman for the Welsh Government said a summary of the responses would be published soon.

“Once we’ve had an opportunity to consider the issues raised during the consultation, we will make a statement setting out how we intend to take forward policy development on home education in Wales,” he added.

Dad23

They are so defensive of their institutions, aren't they?
The NASUWT is the worst of the lot and known to be very anti-HE.

The number of Welsh pupils being educated at home rose sharply last year, research has shown. Numbers went up by almost 12%
(Rex Phillips of the NASUWT) said: “...the percentage rise is just 0.03%."
If the percentage of HE children went up from approx 0.21% to approx 0.24% of all Welsh children, that doesn't make a 0.03% rise but a close to 12% rise. It's like when Gordon Brown increased National Insurance from 10% to 11% and called it a 1% rise (he was actually taking 10% more money).

I bet 'ol Rex don't teach no maths. I hope.

Last edited:
Sorry to ask a stupid question but when they mention stakeholders in relation to a consultation do they mean anyone who responds (ie Joe Public) or do they mean official agencies/groups etc?

But the process was delayed and former Education Minister Leighton Andrews asked officials to undertake a “thorough analysis” of the consultation responses, to ensure all views are fully considered.
and

“Once we’ve had an opportunity to consider the issues raised during the consultation, we will make a statement setting out how we intend to take forward policy development on home education in Wales,”
Roughly translated by cynical me

They are looking for any way they can re-interpret the responses to agree with their proposals, they are also in the process of discounting any responses that disagree with the proposals, as coming from politically-motivated trouble makers.

"Once we've had the opportunity to consider the problems we've caused by stating too clearly our intentions, we will make a more obscure statement in the hope that most people won't realise that we're going to do as we please regardless of the consequences."

Just My Humble Opinion of course :behindsofa:

Dad23

Probably Rex does teach Maths, Dad23!
You're probably right!

Maybe that's why the increase in children taken out of LA education and away from the likes of Rex - including for HE and other reasons - is actually neither 0.03% nor 12% but a whopping 19%.

In all there were 1,220 children of compulsory school age taken out of local authority education for any reason in 2012-13 – compared to 1,026 in 2011-12.

Stakeholders are those who respond to a consultation and agree with the desired outcome. The rest are just an organised lobby group orchestrated by an insignificant minority.

Diane

HEdups
I thought ol' Leighton had been shined on by his 'superiors'.

What's he doing commenting on home education then?