Home Ed ID cards

Wasn't really sure where to put this so feel free to move if there's somewhere more appropriate.

There's been some email discussion via the local group I'm signed up to (I'm in Hampshire) about Home Ed ID cards. There appear to be two groups pushing them as a way to get discounted entry to certain places. One (which I don't know the name of) is apparently selling a card for £25 which then gives the holder discounts to various places. The other is selling for just under £3 and is by a group called Educational Freedom who I think are quite a new group? There have apparently been some quite heated discussions about this via a Facebook group.

I am rather out of the loop with all things home educated as we don't actually go to any groups and I'm not on Facebook and don't use any of the other mailing list type groups (apart from our local one which is fairly quiet).

But I wondered if anyone else had heard anything about this or knew any more about it?

Admin

Administrator
I know this has caused considerable discord across the HE communities as the whole concept is fraught with difficulties.

Do these 'deal brokers' propose to set up a 'register' of home educators? Surely anyone could apply for a discount card, HE or not? Who holds the data, how and with whom are details shared?

Choice in Education used to issue small pocket sized cards outlining the law (E&W) on home ed with no names or contact details which could be used by young people who were challenged when out and about. Schoolhouse has membership cards which simply confirm membership of the association and HEAS/EO have (or had) similar membership cards which generally help explain about HE being an equal option and make it easier to ask for 'school' concessions.

We have never found it difficult to negotiate discounts at family or group level. Any activity/attraction which only offers HE discounts via a for-profit third party would run into problems, especially if it receives any state subsidy IMO.

Personally I'd avoid these brokerage schemes like the plague as there may well be unintended (or otherwise) consequences.

Once upon a time I used to think such things were a good idea, and would make life easier and stop bad things happening. Just like having a central joined-up Government database so you didn't have to repeat the same information over and over again. It's easy to be seduced by all of this if you're not aware of the downsides.

The Badman affair helped me escape the dark side and I can see the double-edged sword - convenience if you can trust the people holding the information and a means of oppression and control if not. Badman made it clear to me that I don't trust any of them, having pried the lid off the home education pot, it was clear that the stinking mess was similarly packaged elsewhere, too.

Admin

Administrator
There are some pretty annoyed people on Facebook talking about misrepresentation.

Specifically, it has been mentioned that Legoland publishes its HE discount rates on its website - no 'home education card' required, just pre-booking, despite claims to the contrary.

Same goes for many other attractions and activities.

I know this has caused considerable discord across the HE communities as the whole concept is fraught with difficulties.

Do these 'deal brokers' propose to set up a 'register' of home educators? Surely anyone could apply for a discount card, HE or not? Who holds the data, how and with whom are details shared?

Choice in Education used to issue small pocket sized cards outlining the law (E&W) on home ed with no names or contact details which could be used by young people who were challenged when out and about. Schoolhouse has membership cards which simply confirm membership of the association and HEAS/EO have (or had) similar membership cards which generally help explain about HE being an equal option and make it easier to ask for 'school' concessions.

We have never found it difficult to negotiate discounts at family or group level. Any activity/attraction which only offers HE discounts via a for-profit third party would run into problems, especially if it receives any state subsidy IMO.

Personally I'd avoid these brokerage schemes like the plague as there may well be unintended (or otherwise) consequences.
Thanks, Ali, it's not something I would want to use but as we're very much out of the loop I wondered if everyone else thought it was a brilliant idea and much needed and I just hadn't heard.

We've got a little EO truancy sweep card that I received when we first started home educating; I put it in my purse then and have never used it or been asked to provide it.

We don't often go anywhere that charges to get in and if they do we usually get a Carer's/Disabled discount so I don't think I've ever asked for an HE rate which is why I wondered if it was problematic to get one - it seems it isn't!

Thanks for that, I thought I'd missed a major development. :cell:

Once upon a time I used to think such things were a good idea, and would make life easier and stop bad things happening. Just like having a central joined-up Government database so you didn't have to repeat the same information over and over again. It's easy to be seduced by all of this if you're not aware of the downsides.

The Badman affair helped me escape the dark side and I can see the double-edged sword - convenience if you can trust the people holding the information and a means of oppression and control if not. Badman made it clear to me that I don't trust any of them, having pried the lid off the home education pot, it was clear that the stinking mess was similarly packaged elsewhere, too.
Yes, I know what you mean, Llondel. We have to carry all types of 'proof' relating to my son's disability as different places require different things. I think I have six different ID type cards (two for the local pool, two for local registration schemes, one for cinema, one for bus) and then also sometimes need a doctor's letter and/or a DLA letter and/or a Carer's Allowance letter (and you know what it's like, it's often easier just to take all three letters and then there's no danger of you having the wrong one).

The same debate rages in disability circles; would one card giving access to everything be easier, what about the strings that are attached, what happens if you lose your card and can't then do anything, etc etc. Not an easy one to deal with!

There are some pretty annoyed people on Facebook talking about misrepresentation.

Specifically, it has been mentioned that Legoland publishes its HE discount rates on its website - no 'home education card' required, just pre-booking, despite claims to the contrary.

Same goes for many other attractions and activities.
This was basically what the original post on our local group was about; there was apparently a huge storm on a Facebook group and the local poster wanted to know if anyone was having trouble getting discounts. Apparently someone was refused a discount that they'd previously been given because they didn't have the right card so for them it had created a problem that wasn't there previously. And as you say, it seems discounts are on offer regardless.

Quite selfish of whoever has come up with these schemes, I think. Perhaps a little naïve? I know I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a load of irate home educators :faint: