Home Ed has led to Higher Ed!

I just thought that it might be of interest to some of you - or even all! - to know that my younger son Fionn, who was educated 'on the hoof' from ages 6 to 13 in our horse-drawn caravan, but did go to school after that for a bit (because he thought he would get lots of sport...); subsequently battled being diagnosed as bipolar; did today walk across the platform at Stirling Uni, was tapped on the head with an old hat by Chancellor James Naughtie and came off the platform with a BA (Hons) in Psychology with Film & Media Studies scroll in his hand.

Just another in a long line of HE people who have proved what can be done - and will I hope encourage those parents who have doubts about home educating their children to go right ahead and do it!

Admin

Administrator
Congratulations to Fionn!

I'll copy this to the Celebrating Home Education section.

What a great university, by the way. :)

That's wonderful news, Earthtracer and congrats to your boy - and you too for doing such a good job :) And a horse drawn caravan - love it!

Diane

HEdups
Has anyone had any success with Edinburgh University?

We've just had a disappointing response to my home educating daughter's enquiry about what they 'need' for entrance. The bod suggests that my daughter put her home educating experience in her 'personal statement' and I feel like suggesting where the bod should put a copy of her mechanical response to student enquiries.

It's the usual demand for A levels or an Access Course.

Yet when we went up for the Open Day the head of the department was quite positive about her chances.

Diane
P.S. She wants to study Japanese at University level and Edinburgh's MA is 'supposed' to be the 'best'.

Contact the department itself, rather than central admissions, who are mainly there as an input filter to tick boxes. There may be an alternative place to send the form, or they might be able to tell you what to write on the form to get it past the box-tickers and on to the people who matter.

Diane

HEdups
Thanks so much, Llondel. I was thinking along those lines myself. It's nice to have the reassurance.

Diane

The individual departments seem to have considerable autonomy and are certainly well worth approaching direct.
Btw, Fionn has just begun an MSc in psychology at Heriot Watt. Not sure who's paying for it though!

Admin

Administrator
I agree you should contact the relevant head of department directly and bypass the general admissions gatekeeper.

I know Edinburgh's Japanese Dept is held to be one of the best and it would be a great place for your DD to study.

Good luck! :)