HE and uni-I survived!

Hello,

I have just found these threads on here, and thought I would post my experiences.
My parents started to HE me when I was 14. Bear in mind this was 20 years ago (I feel very old just admitting that lol), so things were very different on the HE front back then. I was having no real problems at school-didn't love it, didn't hate it, but mum and dad made the decision to teach us all at home (I have 3 younger sisters), for various reasons.

We used a christian curriculum, which was one of only 2 on offer in Britain then. This meant I sat no exams, just acquired credits, which contributed to the curriculum's various leaving certificates. I decided I wanted to be a phyiotherapist, which all the 'experts' said would be almost impossible as it is a science based subject. However, I applied to the 3 Scottish Unis which offered the course. I got accepted into 2 of them. They did request further information on the scope and sequence of what we had done, but were effectively happy with my work.

In the end, I went to Queen Margaret College (now a Uni), and did a 4 year degree in Physiotherapy. The transition was easy from a learning point of view, as I was already used to the self directed style of learning that is required in further education. I qualified in 1994, and have been working as a physio since.

I now have 4 boys, whom we HE, and I now take my hat off to mum and dad. Things are so easy for HE now from the point of view of information availability and the networking that is available. We knew of 2 other HE families in Scotland at the time we were at home-we have 3 HE families in our village!

Anyway, should you have any questions, please ask. I might add that all 4 of us have very different experiences of HE (3 positive, 1 not so), which I am happy to share if you are interested.

Terri x

Dad23

Hi Terri,

Thanks for coming forward and sharing that.

I'd be interested in why one of your siblings didn't have a positive experience. What would they do differently if they could go back in time?

The main problem with my sister who did not like being at home was a character thing I think. She always got her sense of self-worth from her peers, and I think when that source of confidence was removed (she still had friends, but not quite the same peer group), she struggled. She rebelled quite a bit, and left school as soon as she could.
She would tell you that at home, she just felt more pressure, but again, I think this is a character thing.
I don't know if my parents would have done it differently if they had the chance again. I think back then, there were not the same resources available. Today, I think they would have changed things around for her, so it suited her learning style better, but I don't know.