Harry Potter or other stories?

This question might come across as ridiculous. Why exactly is Harry Potter so popular?

I was having a discussion not so long ago about children's fiction and why some titles or authors are very popular, but at the same time, there are thousands of obscure, forgotten, and possibly unloved and unwanted works. One of my favourites is Futility, or the Wreck of the Titan by Morgan Robertson. Written in 1898 about a massive ocean liner called Titan which sinks in the North Atlantic after hitting an iceberg. I doubt many kids (or their teachers) have even heard of it.

Written in 1898 about a massive ocean liner called Titan which sinks in the North Atlantic after hitting an iceberg. I doubt many kids (or their teachers) have even heard of it.
Presumably because it sank without trace?:bolt:

It's a bit of a strange comparison. My favourite cartoon from my childhood days was the Mysterious Cities of Gold. Amongst several reasons why it was my favourite includes a solid gripping storyline without a predictable plot; the lack of a constant conflict between clearly defined goodies and baddies like many cartoons have; and characters with complex personalities that it's difficult to instantly determine whether they are a friend or a foe. Unlike Harry Potter, MCoG was never a particularly successful or even a popular cartoon. It has a small following amongst 30 somethings but few kids have even heard of it.