Graham Stuart MP enters the unlawful monitoring fray

Garaham Stuart is doing exactly what a good politician should do - ensuring that local 'authorities' are acting within their statutory vires. As the law on home education is so clear the fact that non statutory guidance is being issued shows pure town hall prejudice.

Now, how about asking him to writing to the Scotland to point out the same as regards GIRFEC. :lol:

Another excellent letter from Graham Stuart. This time to Thurrock Council which is using ultra vires policies:

http://www.grahamstuart.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Thurrock1.pdf

I have never seen any credible evidence that home education is a risk factor for child welfare, nor in cases where children have been harmed, any evidence that home education effectively his abuse from the authorities.
The whole letter is worth tucking away; it's the whole case against state intrusion into HE.

Dad23

That Thurrock case was from October, Mayfly. I posted about it here.

Readers will be glad to know that Thurrock is now trying to do the right thing - they have requested EO to help them rewrite their EHE policies.

So did the problem with Thurrock arise from lack of understanding of HE? And did that understanding give rise to prejudice?

There's hope if even LEA's can educated themselves!

Dad23

So did the problem with Thurrock arise from lack of understanding of HE? And did that understanding give rise to prejudice?
I think the tension between LAs and home edders is often because LA officers don't understand HE. Further, they've only ever read other council employees' documentation on the matter and not the law or the EHE guidelines!

They've got completely the wrong ideas but are convinced they have it spot on because a) others in the LA agree with them and b) it fits the natural order of things that "we should have these powers" as "it's the LA's responsibility to make sure all children are safe and getting a proper education".

To Thurrock's credit they've taken Graham's comments on board and are trying to get their documentation right. Hopefully, once that's done employees will follow the new policy document.