Going to Uni without any qualifications...Possible?

thehomies

hi everyone,

my daughter's really keen on uni but we've gone the unschooling, no curriculum route and she's not got any qualifications so far. Does anyone know whether it's possible to go to uni without any or does she have to do an access to higher education course? she's quite happy to do that. do any of you have any knowledge or experience of this?

thank you!

Admin

Administrator
Many home educated young people undertake OU modules or go down the college route to gain the entry requirements for their chosen course.

Much depends on the degree your daughter wants to do. It's often worth calling round admissions tutors to get an idea of what they are looking for and their selection criteria. Some are very positive about home ed candidates.

One of my three went to a prestigious Scottish university with no conventional qualifications and was accepted on the basis of an interview, references and portfolio. She went on to obtain a good honours degree. The other two used distance learning and part-time college courses before going to university.

Of course, many young people choose not to go to university or choose to pursue OU study, not least of all to avoid the millstone of debt when there is no guaranteed employment on graduation.

DavidMike

Take Higher education course

hi everyone,

my daughter's really keen on uni but we've gone the unschooling, no curriculum route and she's not got any qualifications so far. Does anyone know whether it's possible to go to uni without any or does she have to do an access to higher education course? she's quite happy to do that. do any of you have any knowledge or experience of this?

thank you!
Without prior qualifications, you cannot go Uni. But you can take online higher education courses from OU. Distance learning courses are other option you can go with.

blizzard

ScotHE
From what I understand, different Uni's have various minimum criteria for entrance to their courses, so as Admin have suggested, get in touch directly with the chosen University.
People with all sorts of backgrounds attend University, and home-education should not be a barrier to enrollment either.

:)