Foreign Languages home education resources

Admin

Administrator
Please use this sticky thread to post links to resources you have found useful for Foreign Languages. It would be helpful if you could add comments regarding age and stage suitability.

DS is using the Michel Thomas Course to learn German. OH and myself are using it to 'brush up' as we don't get to speak German with his family as often as we used to (OH is half German)

Oma was sceptical that DS could learn it without 'having lessons in school', but after only a couple of hours listening to the first CD he was having a sensible conversation with her - she was very impressed :whoo:

More info about the course here, but you can buy the courses from many different shops/online.

http://www.michelthomas.com/

DS is 12, not sure whether younger children would like it ;)

Lomastv.com,

lomastv.com , great Spanish video learning for older kids

Authentik.com , monthly CD and magazine, various languages, O level up

Spanish Touch Trainer, iPhone app, beginners to advanced

Voxy, iPhone app, (coming, not tested!) location based vocabulary, ie you are near a bank, gives bank vocabulary

For the very young ones, I've discovered Dora The Explorer; she introduces a few basic words and phrases in Spanish - seems like a good start, and done in a fun and enjoyable way.

Verbling

http://verbling.com/

"Instantly connect with native speakers around the world through live video"

Yo! way to go! WTF would you want to talk to your school French teacher?

Language teaching resources are just getting better and better.

R

Elena

Hi!

I home educated my two children; and now feeling myself somewhat "redundant" I want to offer my help with teaching kids Russian language and Art.

So, if anyone is interested, please let me know.

mierran

ScotHE
Found good free android app by simpletolearn called " french quiz ".
Good for teenagers tho younger if interested eg going on hols - i had fun with it earlier