Fingerprinting all schoolchildren in Wales may become a reality

Elaine Kirk

Super Moderator
Wales should put an end to the "stigma" children face for claiming free school meals, an assembly member claims.

Joyce Watson, Labour AM for Mid and West Wales, backs a fingerprint ID system of cashless payments to help poorer children.
She recommends rolling out a system by which children have accounts to pay for school dinners which can be topped up either by their parents or by the local authority if they qualify for school meals.

All pupils would then pay for their meals by a biometric reading of their fingerprint at the till without anyone knowing how their account was funded

Stephen Jones, head teacher of Ysgol Glan-y-Mor in Burry Port, Carmarthenshire, said its piloting of a biometric payment system over the last four years had delivered results.

He said it had cut the time pupils queued for lunches as well as removing any stigma attached to free school meals.

"The children like it," he said.

"It's almost a fun element to having their lunch, the fingerprints.

"It's much quicker so they're happy about that.

"The offshoot, I suppose, would be that parents can actually have computerised printouts of all the food and drink that their children consume and they can keep an eye on whether they're having a healthy diet or not."
more

Ravenloonies

Fingerprinting schoolchildren in Wales

or, instead of using fingerprinting, make ALL school meals free at the point of service, with parents applying to or paying the LA termly?

Christine

In the olden days :) no cash changed hands in the canteen, parents paid for school meals via the office so no-one had a clue who got free meals and who didn't, every child went into the lunch hall, ate their lunch and then went out to play. Not a terribly complicated system - but then I suppose in those days they focused on children getting a meal at lunchtime, not surreptitiously collecting data on them.

My daughter, who has recently joined her older brother in becoming home educated, tells me every child at the school she attended (Barnsley Academy) had their thumb-print taken.
When she started at the academy, last September, I gave her £10 to put into her canteen account. (or whatever they call it) She took a packed lunch every day as she had done in primary school. (my kids never much took to school dinners) But thought she may fancy a drink or something extra that would require paying for.
I often asked her if she needed any more money to put into her account 'Still got lots left in my account' she would tell me. This went on for ages. She even started bringing food home from school. 'What's this I asked her' 'They gave me it free' she would say.
Eventually I contacted the school and asked why my child was bringing home food from school. They told me she was on free school meals and wasn't spending enough. I told them that she was not on free school meals and took a packed lunch every day. From that day on she never brought food home from school.
They told me that I would not be charged as it was their mistake. Very glad was I too!

The correct informaton was not put into the brain which rules the thumb-print machine. The brain which thought of the thumb-print idea for children has to be wrong at best, or at worse has some hidden plans for the future of our kids!

In the olden days no cash changed hands in the canteen, parents paid for school meals via the office so no-one had a clue who got free meals and who didn't, every child went into the lunch hall, ate their lunch and then went out to play. Not a terribly complicated system - but then I suppose in those days they focused on children getting a meal at lunchtime, not surreptitiously collecting data on them.
I well remember this. In our school, in Wales, we went to the office and paid and received tickets for dinner, if you had free dinners, you were given the same tickets - no-one the wiser.

"The offshoot, I suppose, would be that parents can actually have computerised printouts of all the food and drink that their children consume and they can keep an eye on whether they're having a healthy diet or not."
Ahhhh here it is, the nugget in all the ordure. It's not about privacy for those who get free meals, it's not even about databases, that's just a bonus ;) It's about keeping tabs on what little Johnny and Suzie are eating, snotty letters through the post to parents of any child who appears to look too robust and possible sanctions if eating habits don't change :puke:

http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sitesplus/922/page/50315

Health Behaviour in School-aged Children Study

A cross-national research study conducted in collaboration with the World Health Organisation (WHO) Regional Office for Europe. The study aims to gain new insight into young people's health behaviours. Data are available at a national (Wales) level only.

StatsWales

StatsWales is a data web resource provided by the Welsh Assembly Government. Nutrition and obesity data from the Welsh Health Survey by year, age and sex for Wales are included.
Sooo much easier to collate actual data rather than reported data ;)

well I hope the parents aren't going to stand for this! I mean, word has got around by now that the nanny state and fingerprinting children is not a good thing hasn't it?

Or am I a little bit insane to think people will not comply? :loco:

Diane

HEdups
I think people get worn down. We've had Labour banging on about fingerprinting children (because they're all potential criminals, innit?) and now the Coalition. Home educators are seasoned activists but most people aren't.

Diane

Sh*t creeps into our lives and we much too often fail to see it coming. And when it's smeared us we can't afford the price of the bog roll to wipe it away! Arghhhhhh...