dyspraxia and giftedness

Hi, my son has just been diagnosed as gifted but with dyspraxic tendencies. Anyone know anything about how this should affect the way he is educated? I know nothing at this point in time.

Diane

HEdups
Hi Flicka,

I would just suggest that you educate your son the way he would like to be educated. In other words, choose what he is interested in and concentrate on those things. It's amazing how everything else gets covered because everything is connected to everything else.

htpp://www.threedegreesoffreedom.blogspot.com

Diane

nickyw

ScotHE
Hi there have a look at the Dyscovery Centre at The University of Wales. They have some great information there. I just googled it. Amanda Kirby is based there and is an internationally renowned expert in the field. I found it really helpful.

All I know about dyspraxia is what I observed when my son shared a flat with a friend who is dyspraxic. Mostly it seemed to boil down to untidiness - but he also lost things, incluing, I think I am right, 16 mobiles!

Didn't stop him graduating, though!

Hi, my son has just been diagnosed as gifted but with dyspraxic tendencies. Anyone know anything about how this should affect the way he is educated? I know nothing at this point in time.
First and foremost, handwriting.

I had some dyspraxic tendencies when I was at primary school in an era when dyspraxia was deemed to be low standards and dyslexia a middle class excuse for something that didn't exist. The school operated under a system of producing lots of written work with a head teacher who was hell bent on handwriting. The use of a computer as a word processor was prohibited for both classwork and homework. To make matters worse, the teachers viewed a child's intelligence primarily on what they put down on paper.

Hi Flicka,

I would just suggest that you educate your son the way he would like to be educated. In other words, choose what he is interested in and concentrate on those things. It's amazing how everything else gets covered because everything is connected to everything else.

htpp://www.threedegreesoffreedom.blogspot.com

Diane
I second this.

I can empathise with this totally I was deemed dyspraxic in school however I did not get the help I could of and as a consequence to that I was bullied terribly if I can help in anyway please ask away, from experience dyspraxic children are fantastic at English and can very intellectual