Dreaded letter

Sharonmcl

ScotHE
Hi all,

Today I received the dreaded letter from income support saying my youngest child is over 5 and my income support will be changing from April to September. I will then need to look for 16 hours paid work.

Just wondering if has anyone has any experience in dealing with jobcenter and being a single parent who home educates. Really don't see how I can home educate and work, I don't have any family that can help me out and I not willing to send her to a childminder.

Sharon

Sharonmcl

ScotHE
Childminding

Hi,

Yes I am considering it but the house I'm in at moment is not suitable due to dampness and other problems and I don't have the money to move at the moment, still trying to pay off last move. I private rent and been on council list for 2 years and still no where near getting a house :(

Sharon

Caroline

ScotHE
Hi Sharon

Sorry to hear your news. What is your landlord like? I don't think he/she should be taking rent money off you for a house with bad damp and other problems. Is there any chance that he/she could sort some of these problems?

Caroline

Last edited:
Hi Sharon

Sorry to hear your news. What is your landlord like? I don't think he/she should be taking rent money off you for a house with bad damp and other problems. Is there any chance that he/she could sort some of these problems?

Caroline

Dear Caroline, I mean no offence whatsoever, but you obviously know nothing of UK letting laws/private renting. But then nobody outside of the letting system seems to either so you're not alone!
Basic terms: no. the landlord is under no obligation to sort damp. We currently live in a mould infested rat hole and can not force the landlord to do anything more than she has done already... which is bugger all. And if the landlord is anything like ours, the original poster is probably scared of the risk of getting given her marching orders if she rocks the boat! Unfortunately, a reaction like that from a landlord/lady IS perfectly legal.

THAT SAID; environmental health could be involved. depending on the severity of the damp problems. Just so the original poster knows it can help, we got them involved in our place. it's not severe damp by a long shot but their report has helped with our council application. also, write to your local MP about your predicament, they legally have to say they can't get involved but as anecdotal evidence here's some info: we applied to the council last may. we got our banding in june; med/low priority. we contacted env.health in july. we wrote to the MP in september and we're now getting invitations to bid. we seem to have halved the waiting time by getting other agencies involved.
A health visitor can help too if your child is under 6. don't be afraid to get them involved over the damp.

oh, and you can't be a child minder in a privately rented house. it's against the law as you'd be running a business from your home and it generally invalidates your letting contract. read the contract, you'll find a clause somewhere about running a business from the property.

have a look at the Shelter website, that will tell you in fairly basic terms what your landlord is obliged to do, and what they're not. Also the good people in the home buying and letting section of the moneysavingexpert forum are also fantastic for help with letting law and your rights as a tenant.

and above all, good luck!!!

Sharonmcl

ScotHE
Thanks

Hi,

Thanks all.

My landlord is in Spain, it's his family job too maintain the house which of course he doesn't. He's a nice enough guy but I've been asking since july for the first set of problems to be sorted and it's now nearly April and still waiting.

As for council I know there's no use in going to them I've tried in past and the Ev, I have dealt with them before and got nowhere as by time they have come out the wetness has gone just leaving black marks and they told me nothing they can do.

The only one I who is willing to help me at moment is my doctor since moving into the house my daughter had two ashma attacks, one of which she was kept in hospital overnight and is now on brown inhaler twice a day as well as her blue. It's not just dampness that's the problem, other stuff are windows not on right which makes it really cold, dampness wasting my food as it's against the back wall and causing dampness. I had to store my food elsewhere. Walls socking mist of time through the winter.

I have took lots of pictures so have evidence. For landlord to sort it out it's going to cost thousands as he need to rerender the whole of the outside as well as a full water course.

Sharon

oh, and you can't be a child minder in a privately rented house. it's against the law as you'd be running a business from your home and it generally invalidates your letting contract. read the contract, you'll find a clause somewhere about running a business from the property.
You can but you do need permission from the Landlord first, which OFSTED will check.

Hi all,

Today I received the dreaded letter from income support saying my youngest child is over 5 and my income support will be changing from April to September. I will then need to look for 16 hours paid work.

Just wondering if has anyone has any experience in dealing with jobcenter and being a single parent who home educates. Really don't see how I can home educate and work, I don't have any family that can help me out and I not willing to send her to a childminder.

Sharon
Hello Sharon,
I'm also a lone parent, my Income Support was stopped well over a year ago and I haven't put in claim for J.S.A, so don't have to seek work, which suits my DS and I, might be a different story when Universal Credit comes into affect, Hazel.

Caroline

ScotHE
Dear Caroline, I mean no offence whatsoever, but you obviously know nothing of UK letting laws/private renting. But then nobody outside of the letting system seems to either so you're not alone!
Basic terms: no. the landlord is under no obligation to sort damp. We currently live in a mould infested rat hole and can not force the landlord to do anything more than she has done already... which is bugger all. And if the landlord is anything like ours, the original poster is probably scared of the risk of getting given her marching orders if she rocks the boat! Unfortunately, a reaction like that from a landlord/lady IS perfectly legal.
QUOTE]

Dear Flibble Family

Actually I do have some experience of private renting and in fact as a landlord too.

Regardless of the law, I would not expect a tenant to live in these kind of conditions. I understand that not all landlords operate as I do which is why I asked Sharon what her landlord was like.

Regarding your other point about running a childminding business from rented accomodation please refer to the Pedagog's reply.

Caroline

Diane

HEdups
You might think about getting your MP involved. By all means look for a job. Take your child along to any meetings at the jobcentre and to interviews. Tell everyone that you cannot get affordable and reliable childcare. That might sort your difficulty out.

If they say you should put your child in school tell them that they are discriminating against single parents who home educate and that you will take legal advice and shop them to the national newspapers.

Diane

I know of one mother who was forced to put her child into school.
I know of more than one parent who has been forced to put their children in school because of financial reasons resulting from the termination of Income Support. Almost all of the children have ended up in bottom set at school alongside bullies and those with learning disabilities due to SEN or disparities between the NC what they have learned at home despite often having above average general intelligence.

One parent is in a stuck situation now that her previously HE son has been expelled from primary school for refusing to comply and participate in lessons. He was backed to the hilt by his mother who told his teacher and the head to effectively get stuffed.

It isn't against the law but it will probably violate the terms and agreements of the tenancy contract. Many landlords put a 'no business' clause into the contract for their own convenience. It's something to do with business rates. Tenants are known to ignore this clause if the landlord is absentee and the business is discreet.

If they say you should put your child in school tell them that they are discriminating against single parents who home educate and that you will take legal advice and shop them to the national newspapers.
That's been tried before and it isn't very effective. The mainstream press is generally hostile towards poorer HE families or those on benefits and are only sympathetic towards those who pay their own way.

Jinnx

HE
I got my letter warning me this would be happening soon (a transition from IS to JSA with the necessity to be actively seeking work). As I understand it, you can't refuse a "reasonable" offer of work purely on the grounds of HE. I'd decided that the best option for me was to go self employed. This isn't for everybody, of course, and is much easier now than it will be next year when Universal Credits comes in. But I am hoping that my business will be established by then.

It's a tricky situation to be in, and although I'm probably not much use for giving advice, I hope you manage to find a workable solution...

Diane

HEdups
I think you can refuse if you can't find 'suitable' childcare. Maybe someone else will comment because I don't have time to look up the reference (if I could find it!)

Diane

lone parent

hi im also home educating my 5 yr old,and im waiting for the dreaded letter,nomatter how many times they send you to the jobcentre or working links they cannot force you into work you dont want,when my time comes i will be taking my son with me there is,nt anything they can do about it,i spoke to someone at the citizens advice bureau,hope this helps hun