Choosing to HE 13 yr old ASD from Sep 2015...???RUISLIP, MIDDLESEX

POLLY666

Hi, I am considering home educating my son from September 2015 with a Oxford Home Schooling course for English, Maths and Science with a additional one to one tutor for Maths and possibly English if he needs further support out of my remit.
I am so frustrated with the lack of support he gets at school having not got a SEN thus far he will be expected to cover 8 GCSEs over the last two school years. We are getting mixed responses from the school SCENCO as to what support he is getting, TAs are supposedly in all classes but whether he gets any support depends on whether he asks for it, his Maths teacher has graded as U and yet the SCENCO says he is above average in all lessons - for me the issues are with his sensory problems, difficulty mixing and communicating, lack of general awareness to day to day dangers and the confusion and an emotional delays he experiences on a daily basis. Not to mention the Bullying and vulnerability that he experiences on a daily basis and mostly doesn't even realise is meant as offensive.
Currently my husband I both work, so I am unsure of where we stand with removing him from school if he were to have 3 hours on his own per day (not in a block with visits in between), I have some thoughts on how I could supply the education I want him to get but obviously I don't want to get in trouble: I could change my working hours to allow 2.5 hours with me straight every morning, then set him work to complete over the next 1.5 hours when he wont have a tutor followed by an hours lunch together with me and then another hour of set work before his dad is back - is this acceptable or would this be deemed unacceptable??
So many questions but this has got to be dealt with first before I can take anything any further - any advice, anyone???

Leaving a child unattended is always a grey area in law, there is no specific requirement.

We are happy to leave ours (also 13) for several hours at a time. If your son is happy to be left on his own then there should not be an issue, it's part of growing up. I know that, in common with quite a few others, I was left to fend for myself between the end of school and a parent arriving home from work after 5pm, and that was before the age of eight. There was a neighbour two doors down available if there was a problem. General instructions were to not answer the door or phone (although now with CLI answering the phone is OK because you can see who it is in advance).

Dad23

I agree with llondel about the grey area.

I could change my working hours to allow 2.5 hours with me straight every morning, then set him work to complete over the next 1.5 hours when he wont have a tutor followed by an hours lunch together with me and then another hour of set work before his dad is back - is this acceptable or would this be deemed unacceptable??
Deemed unacceptable by whom? Please get out of your head any thoughts about being accountable to anyone for the number of hours your child does formal "school" work. Too many parents play ball with the council instead of telling them to get lost when they first come knocking.

When there's a statement involved there's unfortunately some council involvement, but ... hours per day?! Please don't go there.

Diane

HEdups
With autonomous work, the child/young person can work on his/her own at anything that suits him/her for as long or a short a time as necessary or that suits the child. Equally, I am a great believer in having a young person join in with what the family does. Could you, for example, take your son to work with you or could your husband have your son go with him? If you are self-employed, for example, it's definitely possible and I know a few people whose children gleefully learn the business whilst home educating.

School is not necessarily home education, although it can be if the child wants school at home. We just followed my daughters' interests. Now one is in university, top of her year, and only did a few GCSEs at various local council centres and a legal studies course at the Open University, and an environmental course, again at the Open U. My other daughter is a self-taught artist who has been commissioned.

With home education, you can fit the education to the child, not snip at the child to make the child fit the system.