Children Missing Education - ours aren't, and you should not be checking them

Admin

Administrator
Gill exposes the ultra vires activities of some (propbably most?) LAs in England who do not understand the law or guidance on Children Missing Education (CME) or indeed the primary legislation and guidelines relating to elective home education (EHEGLA).

Children Missing Education - ours aren't, and you should not be checking them

When I asked this CME officer whether if she was operating under section 436A of the Education Act (the part of the law that essentially creates her role and which is a few lines long) she asked me: "What's that?" She also seemed unfamiliar with the content of the statutory CME guidance, which historically contained an instruction to officers to follow EHEGLA for children who were being home educated, although that link is currently missing, an omission which effectively legitimised her treatment of this parent in the meeting.

The CME guidance is currently under review and we NEED to have the link to the Elective Home Education Guidelines for Local Authorities reinstating to the glaringly obvious gap in the footnotes where they belong in order to protect families like the one I was supporting in this meeting. Here is the gap in the CME guidance where EHEGLA belongs:

Dad23

Diane, could you please elaborate?

While a link to the EHE guidelines is a glaring omission I'm struggling to see how adding this link to the footnotes of page 4 of the CME guidelines would make a big difference to LA behaviour.

Surely there are more important things to worry about. Instead of berating them for not dotting i's and crossing t's in their documents we should be skewering and grilling them for the ignorance of their officers, public servants who should be aware of - and respecting - the EHE guidelines whether the CME doc links to them or not.

Diane

HEdups
New home educators are being seen as having children missing from education. That is leading to all kinds of grilling as Gill details, and then, sometimes the CME person is calling in a Social Worker.

If we can point to the information that home education is not, and should not be, a factor in official interference with new home educating families then they might back off more easily.

But, yes, they should all be trained, have read the legal information concerning home education etc.

Dad23

Thanks,Diane.

If we can point to the information that home education is not, and should not be, a factor in official interference with new home educating families then they might back off more easily.
The CME doc already mentions the EHE guidelines, it just doesn't link to the guidelines. Adding a link doesn't mean people are going to follow it (they could be reading a printed version of the CME Guidelines). A link is unlikely to change LA behaviour or help home edders defend against LAs. To achieve what you describe above it would be a lot more useful I feel to fight for a simple insertion, "the CME guidelines are not applicable where the child is being EHE" instead of fighting for them to create the link (though there's no harm, of course, in tidying that omission up).

We need the position made clear to the enemy, giving them a link that they can ignore doesn't do that.