Child benefit and home education 16+

di30

Chb/ctc

Excellent thread.

My son was de-registered Dec 2008, he has special needs and as the school could not provide for his needs, after many meetings we decided to turn to home ed. (Education otherwise).

My son turned 17 in Jan 2012 and although continues with HE, we registered him with Careers Wales last August 2011.
Due to this both CHB and CTC continued with the extention of the 20 weeks, then it all stopped in Jan just as our son turned 17.

I did not realise until researching that these benefits should continue post 16 or 17 plus on HE, so did not think to mention this to HMRC etc.

So last month after finding this out, I wrote to both and still awaiting a reply, when ringing depts do not understand what I am on about, so I decided to write to both with copies of evidence of HE and the letter from the school head confirming the last date of school and that he was no longer on the register etc.

However, it was only recently again on researching I realised there was another dept, called FTES and last week sent these the details, because I am not sure if the main dept would have passed the details on to them of what I sent them last month.

I do hope we hear something soon, and I am hoping they will backdate.

Thank you.

Admin

Administrator
Glad you found us. :welcome:

If you get mucked about (which is par for the course, I'm afraid) I'd suggest you ask your MP to take up your case, but make sure s/he is briefed on the regulations (see links earlier in this thread).

Let us know how it goes. :)

di30

Glad you found us. :welcome:

If you get mucked about (which is par for the course, I'm afraid) I'd suggest you ask your MP to take up your case, but make sure s/he is briefed on the regulations (see links earlier in this thread).

Let us know how it goes. :)
Aww excellent and thank you lots.

Yes I will do, my MP have been great in the past, so I will do just that with the info you stated/regulations etc.

A Big Thanks.:clap2::)

di30

I forgot to ask on my earlier post.

Since sending all the details/evidence of HE to FTES, should they send me a HE form to complete?

If so I take it the form differs to that of the standard one as below?

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/shortfor...ame=&location=3&origin=http://www.hmrc.gov.uk

And how long should I give them to respond before chasing them up?
I posted them by signed for recorded delivery and it's confirmed as delivered on Thursday 08 March 2012.

Because originally it was early Feb (last month) they received the letter/evidence but doubt it was passed on to the FTES section.

Wonder if anyone can also tell me if it's possible they will ring me please?
I missed a witheld call on Friday, so not sure if it would be them quite so soon (unless of course they did receive the previous letters from last month).

Sorry for all the questions.

Cheers in advance.:becky:

Diane

HEdups
Yes, they could well ring you. They did ring us.

You could try phoning the helpline. Stay on until the last option which is to get a real human being and explain the circumstances. You may get a form (we have got one regularly in the past). There is no reason that your child should not be receiving CB and CTC. If your son is not in higher education (above A levels) then the CB and CTC can go on until the day after his 20th birthday.

HTH.

Diane

di30

Yes, they could well ring you. They did ring us.

You could try phoning the helpline. Stay on until the last option which is to get a real human being and explain the circumstances. You may get a form (we have got one regularly in the past). There is no reason that your child should not be receiving CB and CTC. If your son is not in higher education (above A levels) then the CB and CTC can go on until the day after his 20th birthday.

HTH.

Diane

Thank you Diane.
Much appreciated.

When I did ring them a few weeks ago, the lady did not understand, and because I was unaware of the FTES section until recently as well, or I would have mentioned this too.

My son undertakes general basic home ed, literacy, numeracy, Science, Art and cooking all at about 16 to 20 hours a week, minimum of 12 hours and not working towards A levels.

I will give them another try tomorrow, again thank you so much.:thumb:

di30

Here is the letter received from my son's school in December 2008 of him no longer being on the register, and I sent the TFES a copy, so that they will know that my son was previously and still doing HE, in case it's assumed he only just started it.

I have deleted personal details etc, name of school too..

Attachments

di30

Received an email from my MP who will be happy to help if nothing is heard soon.

I have provided my MP with the details just in case, and he has been very good in the past with other issues.

Cheers.

di30

Good morning

Just to keep you up to date.

Checked my account this morning and a payment of child tax has been paid in, no backpayment yet though, so will contact them on that one.
I assumed CTC is only paid if CHB is paid, so maybe this have been sorted and a letter on the way.

When ringing CHB yesterday, I was just told the other section is dealing with it, so I assume FTES, will see what comes in the post and if I hear nothing, will try ringing them again.

Ryan

ScotHE
Hi Guys, looking for a little bit of guidance here. I have just called Child Benefit in regards to a letter they sent out asking if Tammy was going to be further educated. I asked to speak with the FTES but he said he would take the details.

I am not sure how this has went to be honest. He kept asking what her qualification would be, I said there is no "Official" written marking for the work we are doing, its a progression towards her career with various non-advanced program and book study.

He said he was going to pass it to head office, they would call if they need any further information and it could take 6 weeks for a decision. With him asking about qualification it has me worried a little. He did ask how long the course would be (after saying it was a mixture of stuff but he ho) and how many hours. I told him 25 hours a week out-with breaks. I also said that I am reviewing yearly.

Granted, he also said that since she was educated at home previously, that it should carry on as normal but still had to pass it to head office.

Do you think it will be fine? Should I have said anything differently and what further action would you suggest now or is it wait and see?

Either way, will keep folks updated for anyone approaching similar circumstances.

PS Does everyone know that there are possibilities for Educational Maintenance Payments (EMA) for our 16 year old if our household income is lower! It was the Local Educational Authority that wrote to me about it. I've to submit the plan for the year and they will forward over the details for Tammy. I found this site http://www.emascotland.com/index.cfm for Scotland not sure about England/Wales/Ireland's equivalent et al though.

Admin

Administrator
You normally just fill in a renewal form confirming your child is continuing in full time home education and send it back clearly marked FAO FTES.

Dealing with the call centre is usually a waste of time as they don't depart from the script about recognised courses and qualifications, but it sounds like they may finally have begun to acknowledge that home ed young people are indeed entitled to continuing child benefit.

Regarding the EMA, I'm afraid it's only available to home educated young people in Scotland and not for those in England or Wales. :sorry:

Ryan

ScotHE
You normally just fill in a renewal form confirming your child is continuing in full time home education and send it back clearly marked FAO FTES.

Dealing with the call centre is usually a waste of time as they don't depart from the script about recognised courses and qualifications, but it sounds like they may finally have begun to acknowledge that home ed young people are indeed entitled to continuing child benefit.

Regarding the EMA, I'm afraid it's only available to home educated young people in Scotland and not for those in England or Wales. :sorry:
Yeah, I'm in Scotland in regards to the EMA, was more curious if it could help other sin England and the other home countries. that is a real shame that it is not. :sad:

Is the renewal form this one they have sent out which prompted me to call them Ali? Letter one side asking if she is staying on and information boxes on the back to fill in? Do you think I should still fill it in and send it or should I now wait that they are apparently processing it after the call.

Thank you for the information!!!! :hail:

Admin

Administrator
Probably best to fill in the form and send marked FAO FTES to doubly confirm your child is continuing in full time non advanced education. Just in case the wires get crossed. ;)

The EMA eligibility in Scotland is down to one Schoolhouse member's dogged determination to get it written into the home ed guidance! Sadly home educators in England and Wales didn't have similar success. :(

Ryan

ScotHE
Probably best to fill in the form and send marked FAO FTES to doubly confirm your child is continuing in full time non advanced education. Just in case the wires get crossed. ;)

The EMA eligibility in Scotland is down to one Schoolhouse member's dogged determination to get it written into the home ed guidance! Sadly home educators in England and Wales didn't have similar success. :(
Will do and excellent work with the EMA!! :happy:

Does anyone know if you get asked about education every year post 16 - My dd is 17 now and we got CB with no problem last year (after sending a very carefully worded letter directly to the ftes section). I said she would be in f/t education until the latest date available - will i get a new form to fill in every year or is that it now?

Admin

Administrator
Some people get forms to fill in annually and others don't. I suppose it might depend on what you stated on the original form.

It's often best to respond to their questions using the langusge of education rather than schooling.

It sounds like you made it clear that DD would be continuing in full time non advanced home education unless you reported a change of circumstances.