Best sources to support the decision to homeschool

Hi All,
I'm new to this forum. My wife and I have our 4 year old enrolled in a local village school for September. We have been having conversations about homeschooling for a long time but it is really coming up to decision time now. I am more in favour than my wife (who realistically will need to actually do the homeschooling) who is a little less keen. To be fair she is open to it, but she takes the decision very seriously, can see challenges with the HE route, and she perceives possible downsides. The school seems really good, as schools go. The problem is that it is still in the system, and there is so much about the system, and the way it is going, that bothers me a lot. These things also bother my wife, but she exposes herself to less of the information that I do. Can anyone recommend one or several good sources of information that support a decision to homeschool in the UK? We are particularly interested in things that relate to the state becoming too involved, too authoritative, too nosey, and the state trying to take the place of the parent, which to me is obviously happening, and is getting into a very advanced stage. Are there good books, or DVD's or online articles that provide good factual information on this?

Thanks

When we were taking our 'big decision' it was my wife's idea and I was not into it; in fact I had the stereotypical knee-jerk reaction against it and decided to go on-line to gain evidence to support my view that it was a BAD idea. The frustrating thing was that there was virtually nothing to suggest it was bad. I remember reading a story about a homeschooler who shot a sibling and the media jumping to the conclusion that that's what happens when you homeschool!!! That was around 2006; I think there's now a guy in London (former home edder) who has a blog against home ed but I would suspect, other than that, that the situation is the same now as it was then so instead of looking for reasons to home educate why don't you look for credible and evidentially substantiated reasons NOT to home educate? I think you'll find that there are very few, and in the process of doing your research you'll find that there is masses of stuff advocating home ed. Once it dawned on me that the evidence supporting home ed was overwhelming, and there was virtually no credible evidence against it, I got right into it and haven't been able to shut up about it since!
Good luck,
Paul.

Lucky you - that your wife was driving it, and that you are open minded and rational. I guess my wife is concerned about the repsonsibility of it, but also how it will affect our daughter's integration into the small village community we are in. It is inevitable that she will not have as many chances to form bonds with local kids, but of course there will be other friends and there are so many benefits of HE that offset that relatively small price. I guess what she needs to be most sold on are the problems in the education system, the brainwashing, the confining effect on childrens learning, state prying / attempt to takeover or replaces the family unit, etc. Our daughter is very sociable and we don't expect her to have any problem with school. I just think that we can do so much better for her and have her in a far better environment to learn and grow.

Hi Paul,

Welcome! It is a scary decision - I moved house in order to avoid having to home educate because our nearest school wasn't suitable for my son and home ed was the only other option at that time. I really didn't want to, so I moved 200 miles to get him into a school that I thought would suit him better. He did the first two terms of Reception Year before I pulled him out, initially to teach him at home for a year. That was five years ago and we're still going strong.

Once you start researching 'the state' and all it's hideousness you'll probably scare the bejesus out of your wife, so go slowly! There are a few threads on here about corrupt chairites, violence against children by public sector workers and data protection violations, so they might be good if you haven't already read them.

You could also take a look at groups like NO2ID (focus on personal privacy and civil liberites), Fassit and Justice for Families (relating to malpractice within Family Law) and google things to do with school - bullying raises some terrifying stories, as do the numbers of children leaving school unable to read, write or complete simple sums.

If you're on Facebook, you could join John Hemming MPs page - he's quite involved in the Family Law situation so a lot of people post links there to all sorts of horrors. Also check out the False Economy group on there, they pull together lots of info about the current assault on 'we the people' to sort out the mess created by the bankers and the policiticians.

Once you start looking around you find all sorts of awful things. You might find yourself wanting to emmigrate rather than home educate :) I try to balance the awfulness with the knowledge that the majority of people in the UK are good, honest, hard workers who simply want a good life for their children.

Will post more bits and pieces on here as I come across them, if you want?

Hi Paul,

My husband was the one who actually suggested HE to me, and he is Mr Conservative, so I was quite surprised (being the more liberal in our marriage). We have a boy who will be 2 in August and we are expecting our second son who is due in August also. So the desicion to HE has come quite early in our family life.
We also live in a very small village and the local primary school is the same one I attended.
I have done a lot of research into HE as it will fall mainly on my shoulders to raise and encourage our boys to learn and explore their world. The only other HE family I knew was that of an ex-boyfriend and he wishes he had been sent to school. He was never given that choice due to his parents political views so, naturally, his experience was my first thought. However, I have trawled the internet looking at the pros and cons and found mostly pros for HE and cons for putting my children into the 'system'.
One book I found invaluable is 'Free Range Education' (ed Terri Dowety). It is a collection of stories form children and adults who HE. I passed it to my mum to read, as an ex-teacher herself, she is now 100% supportive of our desicion.
I have worried about our sons will fit into the village, will we be excluded from activities (just through being 'invisible'), will the local children be intolerant of them (I should add that my ex was raised in the same village and he did suffer some bullying from local children as a result of being HE).
However, the experiences I can provides and offer my sons at home outweighs all this, as well as the freedom from being confined to the school timetable of weekends and holidays, family time is all of the time and with many of our friends and family members having some unique skills I hope will be passed on to my sons, they will learn that people are a source of information, learning opportunites and valuable sources in their life, rather than only learning what teacher says.
I look forward to our life with our boys, growing, learning, sharing every day activities within the home with less apprehension than when I expected our lives to be catagorized into 'school', 'work', 'household chores', 'family time' etc etc. Now (although my husband works full time in a job he loves), I see the future as 'our time'. Every day.

I hope the book is useful. Enjoy the journey.
B and 'the boys'.

Sharon15

Help new to homeschooling

Hi members
I live in fife scotland and have a 7 soon to be 8 yr old daughter who has some health issues im considering homeschooling as her current school are not realy helping her with the issues and just keep complaining that shes having to much time off the problem is im not sure where to start to source lesson material i would be grateful for anyhelp that members could gibe me as im looking to remove her from school in the next few weeks and would like to be prepared before hand
Thank you