Assessing parenting capacity

catm1105

ScotHE
Assessing Parent Capacity

Thank you for posting this. I can't quite get my head round how subjective and judgemental this is. I want to say words which would probably get me kicked off this forum! If this is how vulnerable people are being 'assessed', then as a professional working with vulnerable families ( NHS) , I will do my best to look out for this sort of patronising guidance ****.

hilarysearing

What patronising and misleading drivel! It's well past the time that the NSPCC was disbanded. They have the nerve to produce a ridiculous factsheet that nobody should take seriously, they con people into thinking they are doing something useful for children, they exaggerate the extent of sexual abuse, they have no insight into the realities of child protection and, worst of all, they are not really interested in preventing cruelty to children ... they make my blood boil. I'm beginning to think I should write a hatchet job on them.

It so happens that I have just finished watching Ken Loach's Ladybird, Ladybird. It is, in usual Loach style, very hard-hitting and gives a dramatised but accurate portrayal of the way a couple can have their babies taken. There wasn't much assessment being done! It is based on a real case

I recommend it, if you have not seen it.

Interviewing children
Children should be interviewed on their own. The practitioner must not ask leading questions and should avoid distressing the child. Dependent on the age of the child, the interview will cover:

• their current concerns and what needs to happen to address them
  • their views on family relationships
  • their views on school and their social relationships.
I seem to remember that this was one of our lines in the sand with Badman and Balls. If you ask a child the day after a fun trip to the beach with ice cream and sandcastles, I'm sure you'd get a different set of answers to asking the same questions the day after the child broke his favourite toy, or had an argument with his best friend at school.

I wonder who the NSPCC thinks should do the interviewing, too? Can they hear the sound of the cash register?

Admin

Administrator
Excellent article Hilary. :cheer2:

Thank you for taking the time to explain the legal definitions with such clarity. It is a source of great frustration that so few people understand the legal thresholds and this will be a very useful point of reference for parents.

The NSPCC should really be disbanded for the greater good of society. :laser: