anyone have experience of flexi schooling?

hi, i wondered if anyone here flexi schools? In researching HE i have seen a fair bit about flexi schooling and the pros and cons but I wondered if anyone had any real experiences of it.thanks carly

Elaine Kirk

Super Moderator
Caz you made a great start and maybe something that you need to take into account is that children need time to build up the confidence to take control of their own learning so evidence of their ability to do so will not be immediately apparent .
Where exactly are you having dificulties?
am I on the right track or is it something else?

Hey there Elaine, I'm not having difficulties as such, in fact i enjoy what we have done so far as our 'practice' HE. Its just flexi schooling was suggested to me by a family member as a way of maybe getting the 'best of both worlds', I think no matter what anyone says i believe I am not intelligent enough to do this although what i lack in intelligence i have in dedication!! I always want the best for my children. I have also noticed the number of families on here who home ed just 1 or 2 little ones and i am scared of HEing 4!! I know some have more!!I know this all sounds lame but sometimes fear takes over me. I feel that i may not be able to get my eldest(who is so far behind educationally) to listen to me and not disrupt the younger boys. I really enjoy working with the younger ones and the phonics we do etc and my daughter is what i consider to be a candidate for autonomous learning. maybe i am just getting cold feet??!Eldest has some issues as his cf is progressively getting worse. He always listens attentively to his teacher but not me, i am worried about the chaos of all of them together. By the way are you psychic or something or can you just see me coming a mile away! I am meeting up with some HE ers soon so hopefully that will put my mind at rest. I think some of my worries are from others who are questioning my decision to HE. maybe some more of your words of wisdom are in order! I s flexi schooling something you've ever thought about? Maybe one or the other would be better.P.S Iam not mental or anything!! maybe just scared of such a big jump! carly.x:wacko:

Diane

HEdups
Hi Caz,

You're one step ahead by admitting all the collywobbles.

If you can order a book by John Taylor Gatto - Weapons of Mass Instruction - from a big bookshop please do.

What does school give you? Piles (of schoolwork) and the other. Mass confusion (what they are taught ain't what they need to know. Not to make friends (they are separated from any friends they make on their move to another class). Humiliation (if they like knowledge it's uncool; if they don't perform, they're stupid in school eyes). Bullying at school (yep, by 'friends', non-friends, teachers, whoever). They're taught conformity, they're dumbed down.

Do you really want school for your children?

Don't you want them to choose their own route and have loads of confidence in life (not to watch the latest 'trendsetter' and copy him or her)?

There is very little you can do wrong if you follow their interests, and they are so young that, if it doesn't work out, they can go to school if that suits them.

Flexi-schooling? Well, it reminds me of the old joke - "Can you be a little bit pregnant?"

It works for some. It works if you get teachers who can work with you because you'll be ahead of the classes most of the time. One to one. Or one to four you can work effectively. Most of school is just crowd control so you pretty much have to rein the little ones back to accommodate all the time that children aren't learning at school.

Try to relax. Try to let them do their own thing (within reason). You'll be fine. And your children will thrive.

Diane

you are quite right Diane, i just needed you and Elaine to work your magic again. Iam ok for a while then i feel the need to get scared and question what I am doing. Y ou may find me asking for some more guidance again from time to time, tell me if i pee you off!! Elaine worked me out a good one!! I think i was just thinking my fears out loud, and i love the comparison of flexischooling to being a little bit pregnant, lmao!!!! Ordered the gatto book and free range ed one too! I am contemplating joining EO, but think it a little pricey?? £25 could go along way in the charity shop he he! Plus i thought , if the school aren't willing to working with me now why the F would they consider flexi schooling! thanks for your help and Elaine too!:hail:

Diane

HEdups
Quote: "if the school aren't willing to working with me now why the F would they consider flexi schooling!"

Brilliant piece of logic. I have no fears for your children's education, chuck.

Anytime, anything, ask away. We all start in doubt and nerves and are prone to attacks from the dark side now and then. Don't forget you will now be an enemy of society on the whole. Everyone should go to school, don't you know - it's the best con going...

Huge money machine. Hugh mechanism for social control. No wonder they hate us.

Diane

pendlewitch

you are quite right Diane, i just needed you and Elaine to work your magic again. Iam ok for a while then i feel the need to get scared and question what I am doing. Y ou may find me asking for some more guidance again from time to time, tell me if i pee you off!! Elaine worked me out a good one!! I think i was just thinking my fears out loud, and i love the comparison of flexischooling to being a little bit pregnant, lmao!!!! Ordered the gatto book and free range ed one too! I am contemplating joining EO, but think it a little pricey?? £25 could go along way in the charity shop he he! Plus i thought , if the school aren't willing to working with me now why the F would they consider flexi schooling! thanks for your help and Elaine too!:hail:
Wouldn't waste a penny on EO let alone 25 quid!

Admin

Administrator
I am contemplating joining EO, but think it a little pricey?? £25 could go along way in the charity shop he he!
SI would urge you to save your money and don't go there. :laser:

Anything you need, just ask here. If you really feel you need further support, consider any other option but that one.

You'll be absolutely fine, especially with Elaine on your case. :)

Diane

HEdups
Elaine is great, but Diane ain't bad either (tee hee).

Mike at HE-UK has had years of home ed., training LAs, researching and writing, and his wife has produced a book on autonomous learning too.

The list is free.

Badman Review Action Group is also lively. It tends to be more political though, and UK-Families is good for grass roots questions and day to day stuff.

Please let me know if you want the joining links.

Diane
http://www.threedegreesoffreedom.blogspot.com

hi, i wondered if anyone here flexi schools? In researching HE i have seen a fair bit about flexi schooling and the pros and cons but I wondered if anyone had any real experiences of it.thanks carly
Is it primary or secondary level? Flexi schooling is something that many parents are interested in, particularly those who have children with certain types of SEN. However, implementing it in practice is fraught with difficulty due to timetabling issues. This is more acute at secondary level rather than primary level due to the highly timetabled system in secondary schools. The only possible way to successfully implement flexi schooling is if the services your children require are very specific and few in number

Well this is interesting! you can't just leave it at that!!! Is there something i should know about EO ?? It isnt just me is it? £25 quid is a bit steep isnt it? I didnt begrudge a few quid for@school as since i joined i have printed out some great stuff but £25! ? Anyways, someone spill the beans!:roll: For all i know it might get me a fair bit but it seems to me i am getting all i need from here!:love:

Riaz, hi, its a mix of the two, primary mostly. I think i would probably be best doing one or the other. It was just a friends suggestion. I have a child with CF and 2 with Diabetes so she thought it would be a viable option for me. One of the reasons I thought about HE in the first place was because of the pressuresw(on the kids mostly) of school/health. Going somedays and HE ing others might just make things even more difficult! It was just an idea. thanks all for your responses, you guys are great.x:hail:

I flexi-school in Fife

Hello

I started flexi-schooling my 5 year old son this summer, so we are now in our 2nd school term. I think flexi-school gives young children welcome relief from school, which is clearly too exhausting for my son. During the first term we carried on with literacy and numeracy on his flexi days (in a different guise) and he loved it all. This second term however he is shutting down to school work at home so we are enjoying flexi days through the outdoors and play.

I found the basics from school, e.g. the jolly phonics system very helpful in getting a lead on how to start.

Hope this helps some way.

Best,

Paula

perfect!

Hi Diane

I loved reading your post and agree with you totaly. My 9 yesr old is intelectually alive,self assured, takes responsibility for his learning, well most of the time, he loves to learn and learning for him is natural and fulfilling, only becasue he was taken out of the education system.

Best Wishes

Jane Greaves xx

yes to flexischooling

yes i have had a very positive experience to flexischooling. i approached my local school with the idea of my child taking part in certain subjects in school (such as music and pe) and the head teacher was more than willing to accommodate me. to me it was the best of both worlds. i could home educate the subjects which my son needed one to one tudoring in and the ones wheich he would benefit more from a group he did at school. we had since put all our children back into school but would definitely not hesitate to try this again if it suited our needs.