Any useful LEAs?

banshee

ScotHE
Are there in your experience any LEAs that are progressive and compliant with the law, and essentially respectful of parents' rights and the rights of families?

Admin

Administrator
Unfortunately, a good LA can change into a bad one overnight with a change in personnel. Even if the policy is OK, the officers may not be - and vice versa.

When you get a combination of lawful LA policies, transparent procedures and competent officers, everyone gets along just fine. When you don't, war tends to break out. :boom:

The Scottish guidance aimed to address the local inconsistencies, but too often we see LAs still using archaic forms and procedures from a long dead regional administration and failing to adhere to the law because they don't agree with it or don't actually understand it. The guidance isn't even difficult for anyone with a reading age of 12. :frusty:

England has its own problems at the moment and the eventual outcome will depend on the fate of the CSF Bill and who wins the election. However, the Home Ed Database site has made a start on rating the good and the bad LAs. There don't seem to be many good ones so far. :fencing:

Cambridgeshire isn't bad, we got them to change their literature to reflect the law and the inspector understands HE. However, they do believe in compulsory registration and regular inspections even though they don't try and push it. However, had Badman become law, they'd probably have embraced it enthusiastically.

banshee

ScotHE
Thanks all. Ali, had a look at the Home Ed Database, and think it's a good idea to rate them and have comments elaborating: when you're in the public eye you should be more responsible, accountable, liable, and this in essence should make one more diligent, competent, conscientious, qualified, dependable and reliable...(I used a thesaurus).
I know that Schoolhouse also has info about LEAs, and I will make a note of any and all my interactions with my local branch (as objectively as possible).
I know this sounds like cheap psych, but...what if HE groups in a particular area dish out 'Oscars' and 'Onions'...or whatever...too silly?
And let them know about it...and why. It may work better with 'Oscars' than 'Onions'...shaming and blaming sucks.

Admin

Administrator
I know this sounds like cheap psych, but...what if HE groups in a particular area dish out 'Oscars' and 'Onions'...or whatever...too silly?
And let them know about it...and why. It may work better with 'Oscars' than 'Onions'...shaming and blaming sucks.
Some years ago, 'Talking Total Tosh' certificates were awarded by members of the UK HE list to those LAs which went above and beyond the call of duty in misinforming and misleading home educating families. They were quite popular for a while and we once delivered an F (for Failure) Notice to a Scottish education minister during a Scottish Parliament rally.

Social media make it much easier for HErs to monitor LA performance these days, so maybe it is an idea that should be revisited.

Does anyone have anything specific to say about Northumberland LEA? My son has a statement and we are now (after several months dithering) making the final preparations to 'go live' so to speak, but would be grateful for anyone else's experiences. Scared to bits about it all and need to be as well prepared as possible. Also, is referral to social services a common outcome? I'm concerned the LEA will force compulsory referral to educational psychologist or some mental health input. We're taking son out for a number of reasons, but mostly because we feel formal schooling simply does not meet his needs educationally and as such will not prepare him properly for life ahead, and I don't want other agencies diverting the agenda onto other topics that we feel aren't the primary issue.

Diane

HEdups
Nell, I know someone in Northumberland. She has experience with the LA. I will ask if you can contact her.

Diane