Any lone parents HEing?

Do hope drmechanic gets back to us - I think a lot of real home edders go through torment from the start - Mainly from LAs acting with a heavy hand -
On a lighter side: We thought of bottling 'common sense' and selling it exclusively to civil servants. Also maybe do a side line in 'sachets of true caring' may be a good idea? Does anyone out there reckon we have a chance of becominmg self sufficient on the proceeds?

Don't they make income support such a stigma in our so called caring society? - If you are a lone parent left with young ones to care for the last thing you need is a mental flogging - Get a job and leave your kids to us - Home Education then becomes impossible for most - The 'Us' then takes over a great part of our children's lives and education - While we are left behind as parasite parents - All this goes on in the face of wanton waste and corruption by our so called betters and those who claim to know what's best for us and our children - Wonder how many grand parents of our lone parent children here today served in World War 11 to enable those who rule today to rule? -

I've been a lone parent home educator for about 12 years. My youngest son is now 16.

Last March I lost my income support and now survive on just child benefit and child tax credit. I can not sign on as I am not available for paid work. Not only do I home educate but I run a charity as well and am working constantly. I had to give up my house and move in with my mother again. Not ideal at my age! But I am neither prepared to lie to them nor to give up what I do. There is so much more to life than money.

I am looking at the HE forums again because of a letter from child benefit. The person I taked to said there had to be a title for my son's home education. A course name, or whatever. Ridiculous! This wasn't necessary when my middle son was that age, but that was 4 years ago. We kept his CB until his 20th birthday although he was at college for the last couple of years.

I have always autonomously HEed the boys. Has this become disallowed? Agravating to say the least...

Anyway, I hope there are still other lone parents able to HE now that the benefit rules have been changed to disadvantage us. I know that I used to reckon that at least 25% of HEers were lone parents. It is easier for a single person to make the decision than for two people to do so. Having a partner to convince is a stumbling block in many two parent families IMO. Although I did have to do some creative joint decision making with the boys Dad after we had already started;)

Stick to it, its worth it. My boys are nicer people than they would have been had they had to go through the system.

Best Wishes
Louise

Admin

Administrator
Your post got stuck in the moderation queue while I was on holiday. :sorry:

The regulations on Child Benefit are often misapplied, I'm afraid. If you take a look at this post and links from one of our child benefit threads, it should help explain the position.

We have found asking MPs to intervene is an effective way of getting your eligibility confirmed and payments restored where they have been wrongly suspended. No mater how many representations home educators have made to the CB office, nothing has ever been done to resolve their ongoing failure to apply the rules properly.

I'm expecting swingeing cuts in benefits for single parents in the next budget - probably on the grounds of Daily Mail style populism rather than making real savings.

A few months on from your posting - But now may be a good time to bring it back up? - Lone parents on benefits home educating their child or children? - Make the buggers work and force them to stick their kids in school whether it's right for the kids or not! - Look at what mainstream schooling has done for your country just lately! - Those at the top say our land is almost money broken - Wonder how many at the top who let this happen were home educated? - Not brain surgery stuff was it to allow people to borrow money they plainly couldn't afford to pay back? - Let's declare war on two countries in the course of sense! - Wonder how many of those who ordered such were home educated? - Maybe home ed could be a big part of a future course of sense? - Maybe the benefit given now could bring a brighter future? - Maybe single parents who home educate should be given a chance to shine? -

Diane

HEdups
Parents should be available for their children, not available for the money-grubbers (who already have too much) to scam more out of.

Diane

lone parent

I am a lone parent who HE and works part time. I do have the support of my mum who is home all the time, and also my son is nearly 15.
I think that if you do not have support from someone else then you shouldnt be underpressure to work. You should also not have to worry about money.

Diane

HEdups
Couldn't agree with you more, Donna.

What is more important to people - money or people's lives?

(Well, in some cases, we can guess which!)

Diane

Its sad that people are put under pressure like this. Its also sad that there is no financial help if you HE. I honestly don't know how HE parents who dont work manage!

Am also a lone parent who home eds and works. So, luckily, don't have to suffer the income support syndrome; but can only do so due to my employment times being flexible. Neither the kids or myself would be happy with forced child minders. It's enough, my kids tell me, for them to lose one parent in the home without them having to have to lose the other to some stand-in carer, even for a few hours a day! Maybe fine if some caring relations sre around to help, but what if such are not?
Home Education for lone parents on income support seems to be made into a nightmare by the 'got to get a job and we'll pay for child minders crew'

Does anybody know of any HE parents formerly on income support who have forced their children to attend school in order to go out to work?

Wow, yes - Wonder if they would feel good about speaking up? - Hope so -
Have spoken to a few lone parents who receive income support who seem very interested in home educating their children in our area. Seems the government are willing to pay as much for child care as the parent would receive for working on minimum wages. So if this is the case the parent works and gets the same pay, or less, than the state wants to pay for a minder to look after the child/children. The child/children therefore have no chance to be home educated. Catch 22 situation! - If lone parents have to get a job how can they home educate? - Hence home education is denied to some! - It's not the child/children's fault that they/them are left with one parent to care for them - The lone parent is left with the stigma of a 'you get a job or you are a scrounger' badge - Then we have the 'well look at her/him going to the pub every day on benefits leaving their kids alone' - Well that aint all lone parents! - So deal with them and let lone parents who care and want to home educate do so with some dignity -

Diane

HEdups
Well, this is crucial, Glenn. In effect, lone parents on benefits are being discriminated against because they cannot afford to home educate.

If you point this out (at least when we pointed this out to the last government), they said it was a parental choice to home educate. BUT, if you cannot home educate because you must work, you will have to put your children into state sponsored care (school) or child care.

Once, again, mental. And discriminatory.

I really fear for home edders who wish to continue but cannot afford to, especially those whose children are unsafe at school.

Diane

If you point this out (at least when we pointed this out to the last government), they said it was a parental choice to home educate. BUT, if you cannot home educate because you must work, you will have to put your children into state sponsored care (school) or child care.
Unfortunately the prevailing attitude is that HE is like a Rolls-Royce. You have a right to one but you cannot have one if you cannot afford it. There are even plenty of better off HE parents who subscribe to this view.

I really fear for home edders who wish to continue but cannot afford to, especially those whose children are unsafe at school.
This is something I fear for as well, especially children with SEN or who have been bullied at school.

Love the Rolls-Royce bit! Never thought of better off HE parents giving it the we can and you can't syndrome. Thanks Riaz. Maybe some better off HE parents will add their views?
Lone parents on benefits are being discriminated against because they cannot afford to home educate? Yes they must work, and will have to put their children into state sponsored care (school) or child care. Thanks Diane. Maybe some worse off lone parents will add their views?

Maybe some better off HE parents will add their views?
I doubt you will be finding many of them on a forum like this. Internet forums are for the steerage passengers on the HE ship! Most of these wealthy HE parents with a "we can and you can't" attitude live in their own mysterious and secretive first class world on the upper decks where they rub shoulders with the elite and sip champagne.

Lone parents on benefits are being discriminated against because they cannot afford to home educate? Yes they must work, and will have to put their children into state sponsored care (school) or child care. Thanks Diane. Maybe some worse off lone parents will add their views?
I personally think they are being targetted because they won't or can't fight back - like pensioners. Think about it, if the government were to cut benefits and perks to groups that can and will fight back (such as certain immigrant communities) then it will surely spark off the next English civil war. Therefore Income Support for lone parents is axed whilst the government continues to spend millions on services for all sorts of undeserving, but potentially militant, minorities.

How you doing Riaz? - Your words regarding my request for better off home ed parents to add their views on home ed lone parents not being able to home ed their children: (doubt you will be finding many of them on a forum like this. Internet forums are for the steerage passengers on the HE ship! Most of these wealthy HE parents with a "we can and you can't" attitude live in their own mysterious and secretive first class world on the upper decks where they rub shoulders with the elite and sip champagne) knocked me back a bit but seems you may be right. I did expect more of a response from home ed parents who have no financial worries for the future of their child/children’s education. Just one who would have come forward to say they did carry a care for those who have to tote the burden of being forced into not to be able to home educate would have been nice. But none came forward. Then again no worse off lone parents responded either. Don't know if one lot is too comfortable to speak? And don't know if the other is too uncomfortable to speak? Or maybe, I hope, they as a whole are just not logged on to a better future?

I only manage an occasional glimpse into the mysterious world of the wealthy elite. One wealthy family from London was HE because they couldn't decide whether to send their children to school in Jersey or Monaco. Another family I met up with were property investors who were disappointed if a week went by without adding a new house to their portfolio of nearly 200. The parents told me that their children didn't need to go to school because their future was also property investing which doesn't require any qualifications or school knowledge.