Any lone parents HEing?

Joxy

HEdups
Hey up,

Just wondering if there are any other lone parents who plan or already HEing?

So I can stay home with Rye I've done the childminding course and I should be up and running by August, I decided on thechildminding because it seemed one of the more reliable sources of income, would handily provide Rye with some playmates and allow me to remain at home, especially in light of the changes to Income support for lone parents.

Joxy.

Elaine Kirk

Super Moderator
That good planning I need an income that can be made from home but would prefer to find a craft where I can sell the end product as my daughter enjoys her space

Mickey

I've been a lone parent since November last year, HEing J, whilst L chose school. After the initial shock and panic when my husband left, completely out of the blue (well it was to me anyway), I found that not a lot changed. However, J has decided she'd like to give school a try after the holidays :Cry: I strongly believe in freedom and choices in education and will always fight as hard as I can to keep that freedom. :fencing:

Joxy

HEdups
Maybe look at Folksy or Etsy (or both) Elaine, Iknow quite a few people who have started shops on there to sell their crafts. Ebay can be useful to apparently.

I'm considering supplementing my income by maybe offering some of my crochet, I like to do the amigurumi toys etc and I made a crocheted wall hanging the other day which was really lovely - although the plan is to make some for home first lol.

There seems to be a real movement at the mo for buying handmade, you'll find parents with green ethics are really into the crafts stuff.

Hi Mickey, oh dear, sorry to hear about your hubby upping sticks out of the blue, that must have been so hard :-( My ex found himself an online girlfriend, although when we split he maintained it was because neither of us was happy, (true) but a year later he did admit he had fallen for someone else. Mind, he did me a favour, never been happier and well, to be blunt he was a cretin. lol.

I am really hoping Rye never wants to go to school, I dont' particularly have anything against school I just don't like the structure and routine, still at the end of the day the education is our children and one of the things I do love about HE parents is that we respect our children's choice perhaps more than more mainstream parents.

Joxy.

Lone Parent In Cornwall

hi there.... I am a widowed mother of 3.
whilst i have a wonderfully supportive boyfriend, i still consider myself to be a lone parent as they are MY children, my responsibility, etc.
Due to the recent changes to 'income support' i am also seeking ways to suppliment my income and enable me to care for & educate my kids in the way they deserve.
i too have been looking at the crafts side of things, but it is so hard to decide what could potentially be a viable business & what will be a waste of time.
Although I am aware that not all home edders are dippy hippies (like me)may i recommend a social networking site called EarthHuddle.com... this is free & includes business directory & auction services (similar to ebay)... as well as many other useful tools for making connections with likeminded people.

Hi I'm Heather,I'm a lone parent HEing in Edinburgh,and bootstrapping like mad in prep to the income support changes too,any advice would be great,also love to meet with any other families in Edinburgh,my daughter's 10 in December and having a ball HEing,but it would be even better if she could meet with other kids that are HEing too

Admin

Administrator
The Edinburgh and Beyond group have got their smart new website up and running, Heather, if you haven't seen it posted on the Scottish forum.

Are you planning an arty crafty endeavour? (guessing from your username :))

Yeah,patchwork quilts,baby shoes,teddies,cushions,gala dresses,tiaras,some jewellery,anything and everything really,got huge amounts of fabric and beads at home to work through,just really packaging and promotion that a lack of funds is hampering !
I emailed my details to Edinburgh and Beyond when I spotted the post,not heard anything back yet,but I suppose it's early days yet.My wee girl Hazel's loving HE but meeting other kids doing the same would be the icing on the cake for her :)

Hi fellow lone parents,

:help: I'm about to come off Income Support due to the recent changes. My lone parent adviser at the jobcentre has advised me to go self-employed so that's what I'm preparing for at the moment. All is going very well so far but what I'm really very worried about is something the adviser said...

She said that to claim the full amount of working tax credit, I will need to show HMRC a business plan. I'm having trouble with this because when I look online or in business books about how to write one, they all seem geared towards those who intend their business to grow and grow, and towards people who will need big investment.

Personally, the most important reason I am going self-employed/working from home is because it will enable me to carry on HE'ing. I will only be working 16 hours per week, I have no desire for the business to expand within the next few years, and I don't need any investment (I have been lent the money already by my v.supportive boyfriend, lol).

So...HOW do I write a business plan to show HMRC?? This is something that is waaay beyond me. I get confused very easily and this is just one of those things :doh: I have looked at Business Link, etc. but nothing seems to fit with my circumstances, and I really want to get moving on this (I am supposed to be off Income Support by December).

I'll be making things to sell online - cushions, grocery bags, handbags, various things! I've already had some interest so am desperate to get off Income Support and get moving!

Anyone in the same situation able to help?

Thanks, Zoe

Thanks for letting us know this Zoe... i had not been made aware of the need to present a business plan, but then my obcentre have been more concerned with trying to take away my benefits & get my kids in school so i can take a job, rather than to guide me toward self-employment! :nono:
I too would like to know what format this business plan should take, because you can bet your ass that if it is presented incorrectly to them it will mean cuts or delays in tax credit!... maybe Citizens Advice can help, and if not the will be able to point ou in the right direction! good luck & let us know the why's & wherefore's when you've sussed them out please.
Cheers, :tea:
Lou.

Admin

Administrator
So...HOW do I write a business plan to show HMRC?? This is something that is waaay beyond me. I get confused very easily and this is just one of those things :doh: I have looked at Business Link, etc. but nothing seems to fit with my circumstances, and I really want to get moving on this (I am supposed to be off Income Support by December).
Since you are looking at a very small operation, you really don't need a massive business plan, but it will be useful to draw one up for your own benefit as well as HMRC (I didn't realise they were now asking for this). It's probably a similar task to drawing up an outline of education provision for the LA. :)

There are usually free start up sessions available through Business Link which cover topics such as business planning, basic bookkeeping, marketing, ecommerce etc and they can also be good real life networking opportunities, so get as much free advice as you can. Job Centres should surely be helping with this too - after all, parents were promised lots of "support" when the legislation was going through.

There are some tips for writing a plan for a small craft business here. You can miss out the bits that aren't relevant to you and keep it short but focused. Don't forget you can list your enterprise free of charge in our Home Education Business Directory once you get going. You can include that in your business plan.

There are quite a few home-edupreneurs around here, many of whom sell online, so we all understand the home ed / self employment juggling act. :juggle:

Good luck! :)

Hi Zoe, Lou,
I haven't heard of this as a requirement either, and when you register as self employed HMRC now recommend business support/start-up workshops that I think cover this type of thing - so I'm puzzled.

However, a few years ago when I worked for the Prince's Trust helping 'disadvantaged' under 30s with a number of things as well as business start-up & also with a University encouraging graduate enterprise one of the simple sanity check type things we'd look at was income level & we'd really ask for more detail if anyone was talking about working for either less than the minimum wage or benefit level, so it may that they're looking for business ideas to have been thought through to that kind of level. E.g. you may have start-up funding from family/friends etc for stock & other start-up costs, but I guess you've also thought out your mark-up etc & likely sales level and various expenses, so you could have a good starting point for a business plan. And while I suggested a 'sanity check' look at income level, it may be that you appreciate income will be low/business not profitable initially but that you are looking to achieve a certain income level within a set time.

I'll try & find some of the 'friendly' business plan materials I've seen in the past.

Lou said:
i had not been made aware of the need to present a business plan, but then my obcentre have been more concerned with trying to take away my benefits & get my kids in school so i can take a job, rather than to guide me toward self-employment!
I think self employment was suggested to me because I have no transport and live in a very small rural town with no suitable jobs. The jobcentre is in a bigger town a train ride away, but no jobs there with suitable hours either. It was only recently that this was suggested to me, before that I had been seeing a different advisor who was useless and who had given me a lot of completely incorrect information regarding the changes! I'm going to have to bite the bullet and make an appointment to go back very soon, so I will get back to you if I find out anything else. :)

Ali said:
It's probably a similar task to drawing up an outline of education provision for the LA.
I've never had to write one of these yet! ;)

There are some tips for writing a plan for a small craft business here. You can miss out the bits that aren't relevant to you and keep it short but focused.
Thanks, I'll check that out!

Sheila said:
Have you checked out these guides from the Prince's Trust yet?
Not yet, but thanks for all the info! :)

Im also a single parent, HEing one at present out of three but number 2 has decided she wants to return to HE

My Jobcentre adviser was really helpful and basically said she wouldnt give me any grief about finding a job and encouraged me to apply for DLA for my son rather than be forced into work... so there are some absolute gems out there!!! She was very supportive of HE too, saying she thought the max any lone parent should be expected to work was 16 hrs and then only when their children were 13+ and allowed ( or you wouldnt be charged with neglect) if you allowed them be left alone for a bit every day. She spends most of her time trying to circumvent the system I felt!

Im also looking at ways of supplementing my income, perhaps even self emplyment as well would probably be better off financially.
Im struggling at present! It will be cheaper to HE my daughter as petrol to get her to school costs a fortune and her school is a long way away!

I dont think childminding is a viable option for me though, my sons special needs mean he doesnt like other people in his space and his tantrums would have people withdrawing their children I think :(

Last edited:

drmechanic

I was that lone parent home-educating

My daughter was stolen from my home for that reason. I will NOT give up my sovereign rights by getting a marriage liscence anywhere and I was teaching my daughter at home so I could monitor what she was taught and make sure she was taught the truth about things. I made sure she got the purest nutrition and I protected her from the poisons in those "vaccines". I was attacked for that. She has been stolen from me and I am still under attack for not allowing my rights to be infringed upon.