Advice on Attaining Physics & Maths GCSE ASAP

RBO

Hello all,

I have decided i need some advice on how best to progress with my interests.

I am from nottingham and i am 22 years old. Recently i have decided that i really want to change my career to something more exciting and for a much greater cause. I am currently an estate agent and have been for the past 4 years.

I have decided that i wish to stop doing this and to persue a career within the Royal Air Force.

I had a meeting with them last week, and went over some things. It appears in order to the specific role which interests me the most i will need GCSE Phsics and GCSE Maths - both at C or above.

Unfortunitely they do not accept Adult Numeracy, of which I have level 1 & 2.
And I only have Human Biology in Science, and it needs to be of a 'Physics based nature/subject'

I have 5 A-C GCSE'S and x2 AS level qualifications, just not physics and gcse maths... a shame!

So, with it almost the new year i have decided that my new years resolution is to obtain these qualifications as soon as i possibly can so i can get started.

I would like to ask the expertees and people with greater knowledge than i, on how best to proceed with this objective.

I know that it is past september, so i want to know if there is still a chance i could get onto a course, (happy to pay the fees) or if i will have to wait until next year in sept - which i really, REALLY, dont want to have to do.

Another option i thought of was to hire a tutor until June and then register to sit the GCSE exams as a 'Private Candidate' - would that be a perhaps, better option?

Or should i stock up on revision guides and past papers, and attempt to 'self teach' myself what i will be required to know, and then maybe brush up towards exam time with a tutor?

Sorry for the essay i just need some direction on where best to go with this as i need to get the ball rolling as i dont want to miss the boat so to speak.

any and all help/advice appreciated.

many thanks

Tom

Another option i thought of was to hire a tutor until June and then register to sit the GCSE exams as a 'Private Candidate' - would that be a perhaps, better option?
I think you will find that if you want to sit the exams in June then you will have to register in January, it's not just a case of roll up at the last minute. That's the classic mistake that quite a few home educators make, there's several months' advance planning required to sit GCSEs or A-Levels.

Diane

HEdups
Polly, our lovely artist, is right. What you need is IGCSEs since you just sit the exam and don't have to do all the oodles of controlled assessed assignments. Much easier for home students.

Diane

RBO

I think you will find that if you want to sit the exams in June then you will have to register in January, it's not just a case of roll up at the last minute. That's the classic mistake that quite a few home educators make, there's several months' advance planning required to sit GCSEs or A-Levels.
Thank you for advising me about this, i also didnt know this. in terms of 'Registering' do you know exactly how one would go about that? I guess it depends on the type of course you would be doing, weather online/open/e learning or actually with a college body or private tutor.I'll set it as priority for Jan 13 which will soon be here.

Thank you also everyone who has shed some light on the situation. I just want to make sure i gather all the relevant information so come January im ready to start commiting to these causes and getting stuck in. I am taking today to look into the IGCSE route. although i am not sure if they have Physics for science. but i will enquire.

thanks again internets!

Tom